Some Other Woman | Film Review

 

While living on a tropical island, Eve (Amanda Crew) encounters a woman who starts to take over her life.

I hadn't heard of the film before putting it on, but it had a really interesting premise so I was hopeful!

I ended up having mixed feelings about this one. There was a lot of potential but the film didn't really live up to it.

The first half of the film had a great tense, sinister atmosphere.

My first major problem was with Eve's husband Peter (Tom Felton). I couldn't work out if his odd behaviour was a plot point or just weird acting choices, and after finishing the movie, I still have no idea!

It felt like the audience was thrown into the story with no context, and the context isn't provided the more you watch. In fact, the more you watch, the more confusing it gets. So while I was completely on board for the weird turns in the first half, in the second half it started to get a bit tedious.

And then there was a point when the film started repeating itself, which is where everything just got way too confusing for me and left the audience with more questions than answers.

But having said that, even when it was confusing, I found it really captivating. I was interested in the characters and what happened to them. The characters were definitely the best part of the film.

Overall, the film could have gone in a variety of different directions that would have been really interesting, but it didn't end up taking any of these avenues. Instead, it leaned into the confusion and relied on its characters rather than a good story. So while I enjoyed it, it's probably not one I'd watch again.

5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

Deadpool and Wolverine | Film Review

The Instigators | Film Review

The Lion King | 100 Movies Bucket List

Baahubali | 100 Movies Bucket List

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review