Am I OK? | Film Review

 

Lucy (Dakota Johnson) and Jane (Sonoya Mizuno) have been best friends forever. But when both of their lives begin to change, they find their friendship tested.

I was surprised that I'd never heard of this film before. I had no idea what it was about, but the premise was vague enough to be intriguing.

I liked this film, but it definitely could have been better.

The opening scene was great. We get to know the characters immediately, but we also got to understand the dynamics of their friendship and how close they are. 

As the film is majorly about their friendship, it's important the audience believe it, and we definitely do.

The characters started off being really interesting and likeable, but for me this started to wain a bit as the film went on. I found myself liking them less and less.

It wasn't as engaging as it needed to be, especially considering there isn't a whole lot to hold onto. When you stop caring about the characters, as I did, it feels like nothing is really happening.

Having said that, the performances were great. There were some supporting characters that felt a bit flat, but that was mostly due to the writing. The actors all did a great job with their characters.

Overall I loved the idea of the exploration of this friendship, but the film didn't go into anything as deeply as it could have, and left some of the film's major themes feeling quite surface-level.

6/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Deadpool and Wolverine | Film Review

The Instigators | Film Review

The Lion King | 100 Movies Bucket List

Baahubali | 100 Movies Bucket List

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review