The Future

Hey Guys x

I've been thinking about the future a lot lately. But before I start this post, I found some quotes about the future that evoked all different feelings, so I thought that I'd share some with you.

 
I've completely finished school now.
 
Some of you will know, and others of you will find out, that when you finish school, the one question that all 'adults' seem to ask is: what are you going to do next?
 
In some cases the answer is easy. For example, 'I'm going to university to study medicine' translates to 'yes, I have a plan, my life is sorted, don't worry about me'
 
In other cases, the answer is harder. 'I don't know' being the most common of these.
 
However for me, the answer is so unknown that I don't even like to think about it.
 
When I have a conversation with an adult, it usually goes like this:
 
Adult: What are you going to do next?
Me: I'm going to university
Adult: To do what?
Me: English with Creative Writing
Adult:... but, what can you do with that?
Me: Um... I want to be an author
Adult:... oh, right *Changes conversation swiftly*
 
And it's the same every single time! I've had the same conversation with teachers, friends parents, even my grandmother!
 
All I want to do is be an author. I mean, it would be cool to work in a publishing company and become a literary agent, but ultimately, my goal is to write.
 
I actually had one teacher who, at the end of the above conversation, said: 'they say that anyone who thinks that they can make a living from writing books is kidding themselves... unless you're writing 50 Shades Of Grey', and I still remember her exact words because it completely made me feel like shit.
 
I really want to be an author, more than I've ever wanted to do anything else, and it worries me that I may not be able to achieve this.
 
The future, for me, is completely unknown and very scary - so scary that I actively try hard not to think about it.
 
I know that I don't need to go to university or work in a publishing company to be an author, that's not the problem that I have. I'm worried about after university. It's hard enough for post-graduates to find 'normal' jobs in offices etc. let alone trying to make a living from something that I am creating straight from my head!
 
However, as scared as I am, I know that I'm going to try my hardest to create the future that I want... and hopefully I'll achieve it! Even if I just write one book!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below what you want from your future!
 
Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. This post has really helped me, thank you so so much for writing this :) I've just finished school, like you, and I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do in the future an how it's different from what I've been planning because it's expected of me <3 Also, I know being an authors a very difficult career to get into but I just want to say that I believe you can do it! If someone has a passion and a need to do something with such enthusiasm and it makes you happy then it can work , it might just be a little bumpier but it will be worth it in the end ! If it's any reassurance, from what I've seen of your creative writing ( and I've been reading your blog from day one ), You. Are . AMAZING :)

    lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so so much, this comment means a lot to me xx

      Delete
  2. Don't you let anyone crush your dreams! Believe in yourself and work had and you can do whatever you want!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quotes...

    http://simpleplaintruth.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. As long as you work hard, you can achieve absolutely anything! Doubt comes from those who aren't be brave enough to try. You have a passion and a talent which is bound to take you far. Stay hopeful <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lou I know exactly how you feel!! I go through this all the time as well. I'm going to school to study film & television production and when I tell people they'll be like oooohhh coool and maybe they do think it's cool but I kind of get a sense that they don't really think its something worth studying. But like you said it's something that I want to do so bad and I just feel 100% that thats what I want to do! I think it's so easy to let all of these little comments get to us because part of us doubts that we will be able to achieve our dreams. We have to start believing in ourselves because no one else will. That's when you can prove them wrong and show them that underestimating you was a big mistake! and what if you don't get to do what you want? Well at least you know you tried your hardest to achieve your dreams and didn't just settle for some other study just because you were scared. I know you can do it ;)

    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean, thank you for your comment xx

      Delete
  6. I have had so many people knock me down because of my career choice but on the other hand i have proved so many people wrong in showing them that i can do what i dreamt of doing!

    you know what you want to do so do not listen to any that wants to put you down! just put your head up high and carry on walking! Do what you want to do!

    Good luck in the future!

    Just Another Girl xxx
    http://heyjustanothergirlonline.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with dream killers and unsupportive people. Unfortunately, a lot of people settle for what's convenient when it comes to their career and in turn that makes them think achieving dreams is impossible, but it's not.

    Following your dreams is really brave and takes a lot of courage, determination and mental strength. My mum's an editor of a magazine and writes for a living - it sounds really fancy but it's a job with ups and downs like most others.

    I know that leaving school and trying to discover the path to future is difficult, but you really can achieve whatever you set your heart & mind to. Best of luck, Lou x

    Erin | Being Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment xx

      Delete
  8. This is such a lovely post! I so agree that you just have to believe in your dreams because if you don't try, then there's no chance of you actually achieving them! Ever since I was little, I wanted to be a news presenter and most people thought that it was some sort of 'phase' that I would eventually grow out of. But so far I haven't! And whilst it might not be the most realistic dream, I won't stop dreaming and trying :)

    Best of luck <3

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, never stop trying! xx

      Delete
  9. Great post ! I have been in a same kind of situation when I finished high school but if you keep believing in your self you can do what ever you want and show everyone who has ever doubted you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your passion. I've nearly finished studying English and uni and I want to be a novelist too. And let me tell you, you learn so many skills as an English student that you would be eligible for many undergraduate jobs, you need a back up or something to fund your writing. Honestly, I actually meet loads of people twice my age who are impressed when I tell them what I study because there are so many skills involved (writing, comprehension, communication, persuasion). No one should put you down for that. And if you believe in yourself and know that you're a good writer and work hard towards your goal there's no reason why you can't be the next big author anyway!

    Loving your blog by the way

    Amani xx
    amanilyrical.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much for this comment xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List