2001: A Space Odyssey | 100 Movies Bucket List

 

Next up was 2001: A Space Odyssey!

This was a first-time watch that I had heard about for years. I definitely wasn't surprised to find it on this classics list!

I had never been interested in seeing it, and while I thought that I would probably end up watching it one day, it being on the List made me watch it a lot quicker than I otherwise would have.

The reason that I wasn't interested in this movie was a specific one. I watch a lot of movies in a lot of genres, but there are a few genres that I really don't enjoy (though even then, there are some films within those genres that I still end up liking).

But one of the genres that I haven't found love for is specifically movies about (or set in) space.

I have no problem with hearing about space in real life, or watching highly fantastical space-ish movies like Star Trek, but in terms of moves rooted in reality, set in space, I haven't found any that I like.

And I do keep trying with them. Space movies tend to be highly revered, so when new ones come out that get great reviews I watch them, hoping that I'll find one I love. So far I haven't.

I don't know what it is about them specifically, I just think the setting doesn't really entice me. And because when a film is set in space, it's usually about space. So if I'm not interested in the topic then I'm not always interested in the film.

And this movie was no exception. I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it.

That's not taking away from the amazing visuals, or the great acting. It just wasn't for me, and I knew going in that it probably wouldn't be.



Comments

Popular Posts

Deadpool and Wolverine | Film Review

The Instigators | Film Review

The Lion King | 100 Movies Bucket List

Baahubali | 100 Movies Bucket List

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review