Book Review #23: Running In Heels by Helen Bailey

 
You may have seen this book in the first part of my 'Bookshelf Tour', and I knew that I was going to review it soon because I'd forgotten how much I like it! Especially if you're looking for a good fun read!
 
The book is about Daisy and her family. According to the blurb, Daisy Davenport is stunningly good looking, has a spectacular house and a seriously gorgeous boyfriend, not to mention that she's filthy rich and as posh as they come. That is, until everything changes when Daisy's dad is jailed for corruption. Daisy's life is turned upside down. She's forced to move to the local public school, her siblings lives are going down the drain, and (shock horror) her mum is forced to get a job! Will Daisy be able to handle this, or will everyone that she loves go off the rails before it's too late?
 
I think I made it sound a bit pretentious, but I promise you it's not!
 
I can't explain  how much I like this book. I said in my bookshelf tour that what attracted me to the book was the name of Daisy's brother (a long story) but that's not the only reason. Everyone talks about rags-to-riches stories, so I was intrigued that this one was described as a riches-to-rags story. I'm not very adventurous with my choice of books, but I like things that are different to how they should conventionally be (if that makes sense) so I was looking forward to reading this when I picked it up. Although the character of Daisy may seem annoying to people who haven't read the book, she's actually the most down-to-earth and normal, stereotypical posh girl that I have ever read about. Which is another thing I love, people who act differently to how they're stereotyped.
 
What is good?
Apart from the character of Daisy, I actually think that the storyline is really good and interesting. Although it's not a classic story, it has some really intriguing aspects. One of my favourites is Daisy's problem with confrontation. I think it is one of the features that makes her seem like a real, 3 dimensional character rather than the posh, annoying girl that we read about on the blurb. It's fun to see the different sides of Daisy because, personally, I've never known anyone like her before. I also like the fact that the posh family in the book are shown to have the same problems as every other family (although their issues are exaggerated) which is a great aspect to the book!
 
What is bad?
The only thing that I fault about the book is that it could get slightly confusing because there were so many different storylines going on at once. Although they are all from Daisy's point of view, they could still get a bit confusing.
 
Overall
I would recommend you read this book if you're looking for something fun to read and don't want to get into anything too serious. It's also the kind of book that you could read in one sitting, it's quite easy to read and it really is an interesting story!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below if you've read any of Helen Bailey's books before!

Comments

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'