Book Review #108: Hostage by Clare Mackintosh

 

I had heard really good things about this book before picking it up. I hadn’t read a thriller in a while, and this one seemed quite original – the premise was one I hadn’t read before and I really wanted to see where it would go.

On a twenty-hour flight from London to Sydney, while trying not to think about the problems at home, flight attendant Mina is handed a note. A passenger on the plane wants to make sure that this flight never reaches its destination – and they know exactly how to ensure Mina’s cooperation.

I really liked this book. It’s been a long time since I’ve read a thriller this good.

The story is told through multiple points of view, and while I’m not usually a huge fan of this, it works really well for this story. You do need to hear from multiple characters, and the way it’s done makes the story suspenseful and intriguing. I wish this had continued throughout the story, particularly with other passengers on the plane.

Despite the interesting plot, I found that this story is extremely character-driven. The main plot of the story doesn’t start until over 100 pages into the book. The reason I kept reading was that the characters were so interesting that I didn’t mind.

The characters, and the story itself, are really well written.

Having said that, the reasoning behind the main plot felt a bit underwhelming, and not particularly personal to the main characters. The story itself was captivating, but I wish that they had connected more to the reason behind everything that happens.

There are a few great twists, but the story doesn’t rely on them.

Overall, this is a great thriller. The story was rooted in reality, and the characters were so good that I’d read another book about them. Definitely pick this one up if you’re looking for a thriller.

4/5



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List