Goodnight Mommy (2022) | Film Review

I loved the premise of this film so much when I first heard about it. I didn't know it was a remake, but I thought the idea was a great one, so I was really excited to see it.

When twin brothers Lukas (Nicholas Crovetti) and Elias (Cameron Crovetti) visit their mother (Naomi Watts) to find her face covered in bandages, they begin to suspect that the woman they're staying with isn't their mother at all. 

For such an interesting premise, the film actually ends up being quite disappointing.

The beginning of the film is great. Tension and suspense are created really well. Once you start watching you don't want to stop.

It was well-written, and the characters were interesting and believable.

The acting was great, especially from the twins who played Lukas and Elias. I'm not sure what they've done before this, but they're both really talented and I hope to see them in more things.

It was a bit slow in places, but ultimately the first 2/3 of the film was a captivating, interesting watch.

And when we get to the main twist(s).

After a while, for me, the twist became a bit predictable. In another film it would have been a good twist, but in this one, it completely ruined the film. It turned the entire concept on its head and opened up a lot of plot holes that the film didn't even try to explain.

Overall what could have been great ended up being just okay. I wouldn't really recommend the film, and I probably won't watch it again. Though I've heard that the original is a lot better than this one, so maybe I'll see that one?

3.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List