Don't Worry Darling | Film Review

I was always going to see this film - the premise was intriguing, I'm a huge fan of Chris Pine and I'm becoming a big fan of Florence Pugh. But the drama that surrounded it was so entertaining that it made me want to see the film all the more, just to see what all the fuss was about.

In the 1950s, Alice (Florence Pugh) and Jack (Harry Styles) live an idyllic life; a life almost too perfect to be true. But when Alice begins to get curious and starts asking questions, she discovers that the perfect world of Victory may not be what everyone thinks it is.

This wasn't an amazing film, but it also wasn't a bad one. I had thought it would be one of those extremes, but it ended up being right down the middle - fine.

The story itself is an interesting one, though it isn't told in the best way. As the audience, you're essentially confused until things are spelt out. It would have been fun to have more clues, so the audience could play along with Alice to try and figure out what was going on.

The score was a weird one. The soundtrack itself was great, but the music underscoring the scenes was too much, It tries to force you to feel something before the characters make you feel it. I found many of the choices too overpowering for the scenes they were accompanying.

You don't get a chance to really know any of the characters in the story, even Alice who we spend the most time with. We learn bits and pieces but are always kept at a distance.

I also think all of the characters could have done with a bit more development.

There were a few plot holes. For me, the only thing I wanted was to see more about what made Alice so suspicious, and how she worked out certain things. I would have liked to see Alice come up with her theories, rather than just being told what she thought.

The twist (and the whole premise) was a good one. I didn't expect it, but was very entertained by it. However, I would have liked it to be explored a lot more. It left me with a few more questions than answers.

The film focused on the wrong things. It ignored the things you wanted to see and instead elongated the things you weren't particularly interested in.

Overall this film wasn't what I expected going in. It was an interesting watch that I would recommend seeing once, but there are also a lot of things that I wish had been done differently.

5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List