Write Like No One's Reading!



Hey Guys x

This is the first time that I've posted on a Monday in a few weeks - sorry about that! With exams and stuff, Monday's have definitely been a busy day for me!

So, in early March this year, I attended an event with my family which showcased all different types of talent from black women. It was called 'In celebration of my sister's' and was really great and entertaining.

During this event, the author Terry McMillan (pictured above) gave a talk about her new book. But then she answered questions from the audience. Someone asked her for her advice to writers and people who want to be published.

The two main things that I remember from her talk were: 1. Write something. Anything - just write. 2. Write like no one's reading. And this is the one that's stuck with me.

By this, she meant, don't write your story (or anything you write) with being published in the back of your mind. Write for you.

This is something that is really hard for me!

Whenever I write anything, it is always for the purpose of someone reading it.

I write a blog post, to put on blogger and have people read it.
I write a fanfic to put on wattpad and have people read it.
I write stories and a novel with the thought that as soon as I finish it, I will try my best to get it published.

And I think that this definitely makes my writing suffer.

I write with the intentions of pleasing someone else. Or at least I did, before she said this.

And I think that this piece of advice was spot on! You can't put yourself into what you're writing if you're writing with the intention of pleasing someone else.

So I'd like to take Terry McMillan's advice and share it with all of you. When you're writing something that you feel passionate about, don't think about how it'll be received, Write it for yourself, and if need be, edit and redraft it after you write it.

And to reiterate her other advice, which I need to do myself, write. If you want to so something in writing, sit down and write. Write write write. Even if what you write is complete and utter crap!

I sat down a few months ago and literally went through the half of my novel that I've written and highlighted everything that I didn't like or wasn't sure about or I felt hit the ear wrong, and then I rewrote it. I'm still rewriting it - but I am so much happier with the rewritten version than I was before. And because I'm happier with it, I definitely feel more motivated to write it!

Anyway, that's my little ramble on Terry McMillan's advice. She's amazing!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below some advice for potential writers!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. That's very true. It shows with readers, and it can be more enjoyable. For writers, as a reader I love description. Whether be action or scenery, etc. that the character(s) may be in. Some books get it right, and some totally wrong, but by next books it improves mostly. It would be good to see yourself as the reader. What are you trying to showcase? What are you attempting to say? What's the visualisation? And is it the right way you wanted to say, etc. it? Just these questions I guess I always wanted an author to ask themself. Like when you dream, and see yourself trying to explain it to someone else. Anyway, good writing Lou and to anyone. Please be happy with what you may write, it does show, but your happiness is the key. Even might be for creativity too. So, this is long. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, those are really good questions to ask! xx

      Delete
    2. No worries. And that's awesome to know :).

      Delete
  2. I think that is an awesome tip to help people write from the heart! If you write for yourself and make it special to you, others will see that in your work. Enjoy writing instead of writing for stats and views. :) I hope you have a wonderful day and good luck with your exams, I have a few coming up too!!
    Lauren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren, I completely agree! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'