Ramble About Youtube | Response To Jack Howard


Hey Guys x

Recently, Jack Howard made a video talking about YouTube.

In the video (which you can watch above!) he said that he doesn't feel stimulated by typical 'popular' content, and he feels like he doesn't belong on YouTube anymore as a viewer.

So I thought that I would respond to his video, because I have a few thoughts about this topic that I'd love to discuss with some of my own readers.

First of all, I completely understand and agree with what Jack is saying about 'popular' content, and it's something that I've thought for a while too.

I still subscribe to many 'mainstream' YouTubers (And when I say 'Mainstream', I mean team gleam, i.e. Zoe and Marcus etc with over 1 million subs) because I fell in love with their content in 2014. However, I'm finding that, more and more often, videos sit in my sub box unwatched because either I'm not interested in what they have to say, or I've seen the same kind of video a thousand times before from different people.

And to be honest, a lot of the time I will watch videos from 2-3 years ago, because this is when I believe their content was at it's best.

For me, I'd rather watch a daily vlog than a 'someone tries foreign candy' video - but at the same time, I'd rather watch a short film than a daily vlog, so it just depends on your personal preference. I'm quite passionate about writing and film, and falling in love with MARVEL movies allows me to see how much time, work and effort goes into making films, and how many people are required to make them the best that they can be, which is why I have so much respect for film makers.

But that doesn't mean that I don't have respect for vloggers, because I do.

But for me, the content that is made the most, and is deemed popular, is content that, like Jack said, I don't really want to watch. It seems to me that a lot of vloggers nowadays pander to an audience.

It's like the twitter algorithm thing that's going on currently. Rather than making videos that they feel passionate about, they make videos based on how many people they think will watch them, and this is something that I feel has changed. It feels like some YouTubers only make videos for the views and comments and likes and, ultimately, for the money.

And this isn't me talking about sponsored videos, because I have no problems with them as long as the YouTuber is passionate about what they're talking about and would actually buy from the company.

I love YouTube. I love the freedom that these people have to make whatever they want, and I know that YouTube is a business. But it's getting to the point where viewers are no longer viewers, we're customers.

I also have to say that this isn't an attack on certain YouTubers, but this also isn't me saying that all 'mainstream' YouTubers make their viewers feel like customers, because that's not true.

There's a huge part of me that hates the fact that popular content can be made in less than an afternoon, but content that takes a lot longer to make is much less popular. It's like being a lifestyle blogger. Beauty Bloggers will always have priority because there are so many of them and they're good at what they do, which is fine and I love beauty bloggers, just like I love vloggers, but it's much harder to get people to give you a chance if you're not making 'popular' content from the start.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I disagree with which content is popular, which could have been what Jack was trying to get at too. I don't think these YouTubers should stop making their content, I just would love viewers to give smaller YouTubers a chance, and to watch videos out of a certain genre.

Anyway, this has kind of turned into a ramble about a ramble about YouTube!

Thank you for reading

Comment below your thoughts on Jack's video!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I know exactly how you feel, I used to love Zoella's videos and would immediately watch all of them but now majority of the time I don't watch her videos because everyone is doing the same thing- for the money. I prefer watching a lot "smaller" youtubers because they tend to have better content as they are doing what they love- not what they think others will like
    Elise | i-cant-think-help.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean! If you go back to when the YouTubers had about 1000 subscribers, they were talking to you, connecting with you but now it's like they are working out how to get the most money out of EVERYTHING. I watching Alfie Deyes a few years ago, then last year I was watching one of his videos and it hit me, a lot of these big YouTubers are so fake, I watched heaps of videos and I was like "fake, fake, fake" in my head (by the way this isn't a dig at Alfie, I just happened to be watching his video when I realized). Now I basically only watch 'small' YouTuber because when they make a video, they are talking to me, as a friend, not a customer.
    Your post was so pure!
    <3 Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree with you, wish we could just go back! xx

      Delete
  3. I am in the process of writing a response post to Jacks video, so when I saw this I thought oooh! I completely agree with you, I like the artsy weekly vlogs from the likes of hannah maggs etc
    I am watching a lot more old uploads and the Jack and Dean channel is super funny too x
    Chloe ♡
    www.thoughtfulclouds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree with you. And this a very well explained view, I definitely feel the same. I loved jacks video because I wasn't expecting another YouTube discussion but I'm happy this is something people are talking about because although I have little to add, I can agree .Great post x

    ReplyDelete
  5. He makes a great point. I've not been able to view youtube much since how many years, but I'm starting to see the thoughts as a viewer too. I honestly never liked "popular" stuff, ever since from young, so I honestly couldn't care what i watch, as long as it's watchable. Lolls. So, you make a good point too, and thank you for sharing/posting this. It would be good as a balance, if a youtuber could do both, if they feel comfortable in doing it, than just "for views". Oooh, so much thought. Glad anyway for any sort of content, expressing to support smaller YTers too. Take care :). Hope this made sense, lolls.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'