Making Friends?


Hey Guys x

Since starting uni last year, this is the most popular question that people ask me - from aunts and uncles to friends who I don't see as much any more.

Are you making lots of friends?

I always say 'yes, of course', especially when I'm speaking to older relatives, because they don't really care about the answer, it's just an automatic question.

But to be honest, my main goal in life is not to have hundreds of friends. In fact, I'd rather not have hundreds of friends.

I'm the kind of person that just needs a few close friends. I'd love to have that one best friend that I do everything with and is basically like my twin, but right now, it's OK that I don't have that, it's not a big concern.

I think having loads of friends is really overrated.

Like on Facebook. You can have hundreds of Facebook friends, but you're only really close to, like, 10 of them.

And I think, with a few exceptions, this is the same in real life situations.

University is the time when everyone seems to make loads of friends, which is normal. But there's a difference between the friends that you pass in the street and say 'hi' to, the friends who you go clubbing with, and the friends who are with you at the end of the night, walking home with you, making sure you're OK and telling you things to make you smile when you're hungover and feel like shit.

I'd rather have 3 of those friends, than 100 people that I say 'hi' to when I pass them in the street.

I might just be like this because I've never had hundreds of friends anyway, but I do think there's something important about having that true friend who means more than all the other passers-by.

Especially because, when you look back on your life after leaving school, you'll see that, the people who want to stay in your life will make an effort. The people who don't make an effort don't really want to be in  your life, and they don't deserve to be in your life.

Thank you for reading this ramble!

Comment below what friendships are important to you!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I agree. I never was one to have lots of friends at the same time. That is my decision and some family members don't agree.

    http://thehomeofkate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, good on you for making that decision. Thanks for commenting xx

      Delete
  2. I know exactly how you feel, I always prefer to have just one or two really really close friends than hundreds of distant ones
    Elise | i-cant-think-help.blogspot.com
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very true. It hurts more when friendships change, but there always comes a choice too. The most friendships that I always got "implanted" in my head, was ones that you can trust, and not to call anyone friends. As harsh as that sounds, just like from being hurt, there was a situation that questioned friendships so much, in high school. It feels less harsh, when you know who you can trust. Because they become family after that. Anyway, another interesting post. Feel free to share your thoughts, these are so awesome. Thank you for sharing, and I do hope uni is going well for you. Feel free to contact anytime, even uni-goers, or have been. I know you may not think much of drop outs, but things happen that we can not control. And that's ok. I loved my time at another campus, so I do hope it all goes well. Remember to take time out (relax times) when able to. Organisers help a lot, calendars, etc. 😊. Take care, sorry for the long comment(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand this! I hope you'll find people who you can eventually call friends xx

      Delete
    2. Awesome. And hopefully-totals :). Take care again.

      Delete
  4. I agree Lou. I say hi to my acquaintances in the street. I don't take the term "friends" lightly. Of course I tell acquaintances that they are my friends if the subject ever pops up but in my heart, my friends are people that I would trust with my life. I like my current situation because I'm really good friends with at least one person in most friendship groups so it's acceptable for me to hang out with those groups if I want to. I kind of like having close friends that are good friends with each other, it minimises drama and you can trust that they won't go off together and leave you all alone.
    I loved the post!
    <3 Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree with this! Thank you xx

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing, you just have me 20 minutes of reflection I kept reading this post over and over again HAHA. I love this post you're amazing definitely bookmarking your blog, thanks for the reminder again:) Do you want to support each others blog by following each other? Please let me know so I can follow you right back:)

    xoxo
    www.theclosetelf.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this comment, I'd love to follow each other! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'