The Boy | Film Review



Hey Guys x

I love a good horror movie! So as soon as I heard about this and watched the trailer, I was itching to go and see it!

I watched it on Wednesday, and as soon as I came out of the cinema, I wanted to write this post. But before writing it, I did a bit of research and read an interview with the author just to make sure that I understood everything that happened.

It's about a woman called Greta from the USA who takes a job as a nanny (live-in babysitter) in the UK. When she meets the family that she is babysitting for, she discovers that she has been hired to babysit a doll, called Brahms. At first, she's freaked out, but the pay is good and, she figures that, looking after a doll is the same as being paid to do nothing, so she agrees. She's given rules by the couple (such as: don't cover his face, don't leave him alone, kiss him goodnight), which she ignores at first because, he's a doll right? Then Greta meets Malcolm, the grocery boy, who fills her in on the history of Brahms - he was a real 9 year old boy who perished in a house fire 20 years previous. With this in mind, when strange things start happening, Greta begins to wonder, what exactly is going on in this house? And what really happened to Brahms?

I really enjoyed this! I liked the character of Greta particularly, because as the story goes on, you discover more about her and find out why she's here babysitting. But in addition to this, I really liked the doll, Brahms. It seems weird and I can't really explain without giving away a spoiler, but I do have a soft spot for that doll, and I'm really glad that the actual face of the doll wasn't scary, like other films of the same genre such as Chucky and Annabelle.

I have to dedicate a chapter to the plot twist (without giving away anything!) but it was one of the best plot twists in a film that I've ever seen. I was definitely not expecting it at all (to be honest, I didn't really understand it at first!) and I think it was such a good way to conclude the film! There was a point where I thought to myself 'I can't tell whether this is terrifying or ridiculous', which you might understand if you go and see it!

In terms of how scary it is, because I know that a lot of people don't really like to be scared, I can say that, while watching it, there were a few good jump scares. When it finished, I wasn't scared. However, when I went to bed, I can admit that I did have a bit of a nightmare about it, and the next day when I was home alone, it was in the back of my mind! But I think that's a personal thing for me, because I expected it to be something, but it ended up being something else that scared me more when I finally understood the ending!

I would definitely recommend this film if you're a fan of horror - I really enjoyed it as both a horror fan and a general film fan. It's really enjoyable, it's the right amount of scary and I will definitely be watching it again (even if it did give me nightmares!)

Thank you for reading.

Comment below whether or not you'll be watching 'The Boy'!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I love horror films too so I had the same reaction as you when I first saw the trailer. But I haven't actually had the chance to see it yet but this post has made me itching to go. I can't wait to see what the plot twist is!

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes