Optimism vs Pessimism

 
Is your glass half empty or half full?
 
Personally, my glass is half empty - I am the eternal pessimist. Always have been, always will be.
 
However, the other day, I read something really interesting.
 
Someone wrote that, for them, pessimists are realists and optimists are dreamers. I can kind of understand where this person is coming from.
 
For example, getting university offers. If you have no offers, an optimist would probably assume that they're taking longer because they like your application and are seriously considering giving you a place. Pessimists, on the other hand, would assume that you're not getting any offers at all.
 
I guess it makes more sense to hope for the best but expect the worst - but to do this, I think everyone needs to have a bit of an optimist and a pessimist in them.
 
Do you think it's better to be an optimist or a pessimist?
 
As a pessimist, I would love to be able to see life in the glass-half-full kind of way, because I just can't!
 
There is an amazing quote from Modern Family on this subject that I'm going to paste here, just because I love it so much!
 
“‎'There are dreamers and there are realists in this world, you think the dreamers would find the dreamers and the realists would find the realists, but more often than not the opposite is true. See the dreamers need the realists to keep the dreamers from soaring too close to the sun. And the realists? Well without the dreamers, they might not ever get off the ground”
 
This is completely true for me.
 
As a pessimist (or a realist) I know that if I didn't have big dreams, I would never take risks and get off the ground. However, because I do have big dreams (the most important being to write a book) I know that I will have to take risks (such as spending a lot of time writing and then sending a piece of me to get judged by a publisher) and I need to be prepared to take them.
 
So yeah, this was just a quick post so I can empty my brain and make space for more post ideas!
 
Thank you for reading
 
Comment below: Are you an optimist or a pessimist?
 
Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. Really lovely, lovely post. I always see the glass half empty, but it's by what it looks like. However, a dreamer so I don't understand it at most either. So, I do see some realism but, I also like to see thins as they could be. Flying and soaring so often, however I know what happens if it doesn't. This is such a great thought. Hard to choose but, I would say optimist. I just see things could be greater than what they are, but I do need to keep myself from 'flying to the sun'. People help but I can't be like them, so they help me. Lollz. Anyway, take care. My mind just opened again for this week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I agree with everything you said! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Relatable Resting Bitch Face Problems! - Okay Christina | Guest Week