Overthinking The Past



Hey Guys x

I’m really sorry for not posting on Wednesday. I always forget on Wednesdays that I’m due to post until the evening, which means that it’s too late to write a post. I think I might have to stop posting every Wednesday, just because it’s so hard to write a post after college. On Monday’s it’s ok because I usually write Monday posts on Sunday. Anyway, I’ll stop boring you and get on with the post!

Last year in September, I wrote a post called ‘Carrie Moments’, where I described these moments that I sometimes have, and why I decided to call them Carrie moments.

Carrie moments are basically the times when a really anxious or embarrassing memory pops into your head, and while reliving the memory, you get those feelings all over again and have to force yourself to think of something else to get rid of them.

I have this feeling quite a lot, and I hate it!

But lately, I’ve been overthinking these moments, and driving myself crazy!

I think of these moments, and then imagine how I could have done them differently.

What drives me crazy is the fact that I can’t change these moments!

Honestly, I have a lot of these moments, being an extremely awkward person; I tend to do silly things a lot.

But then my incredibly awkward brain decides that it’s going to make me re-live these moments when there’s nothing that I can do about them!

From my ‘Carrie Moments’ post, I know that a lot of you guys have these moments too, so I want to give you some tips on not overthinking the past. Just to be clear, these tips are all my own!

Mainly because, if I write them here and make them public, then I kind of have to follow them too!

1.       Distraction – If these moments come up, ignore them and think of something else, something that makes you happy. That way, you might forget about the embarrassing thing you did 3 years ago.

2.       Acceptance – As I have said repeatedly in this post, we all know that we can’t change the past. So rather than dwell on it, accept it and look towards the future.

3.       The ‘Let It Go’ method – This is the method that I mentioned in the ‘Carrie Moments’ blog post. I basically sing let it go in my head while imagining the music video, with Elsa dancing in the snow. This could also be a distraction but I found that ‘Let It Go’ in particular seems to help me.

4.       Embrace the moments – If you’re lucky enough to have a positive mind-set, just think: Yeah, I do stupid stuff, I’m human, I make mistakes, I’ve learned from them, I’m awesome! … Or something to that effect!

5.       Push the memories away – When any of the memories come, just actively think: ‘I’m not going to think about this again. I need to let it go’ and hopefully, you’ll stop thinking of these embarrassing things!

I don’t know if those tips will help, but please let me know if they do because I’ll be trying them myself!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below if you get ‘Carrie Moments’, and what you do about them!

Keep Smiling – Lou xx

Comments

  1. I love this post! <3 The let it go method seems amazing! I'll have to try it next time I experience these similar moments. Thanks for sharing <3
    -Crystal
    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you call these Carrie moments, how cute. I usually think about how big the world is and how big the universe is and how insignificant that one stupid thing I did is. Usually the size of the universe scares me but it comes in useful sometimes haha
    pretendingtoart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good method, I'm definitely going to try that! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List