Untitled Horror Movie | Film Review

 

I first heard about this movie maybe a year ago. I follow Claire Holt (one of the actresses) on Instagram and she spoke about it at the time, so I made a mental note to look out for it - so when it came out on Amazon Prime Video I watched it straight away. 

When six co-stars find out that their TV show is about to be cancelled, they decide to make their own horror movie - and in the process, they accidentally summon a deadly spirit.

This film has a great premise, though it could have been executed a bit better.

Not only do I like the premise, but I like the way that this is set up in the beginning of the movie. For a moment, you're not quite sure what's real and what's not, and I loved that.

I've also really come to love the virtual format for horror movies, and I hope that this sticks around.

For me, one place where the film fell down was the characters. Yes, they are supposed to be vapid, but the lack of likeable characters made the film hard to enjoy, especially in the beginning before you get a chance to warm to them.

Another problem with the characters is that they didn't feel fully developed. For all of them, there is something there that keeps you watching, but it's not enough. The film works because the plot is interesting, not because of these characters.

This film is equally as stupid as it is fun, and I loved that. You're not watching it thinking that you're watching an intense cinematic horror movie, so you are free to just have fun with it. It's always enjoyable and never boring. In fact, it doesn't really become a horror movie until you're 50 minutes in.

The writing isn't great. It's not believable, it's not scary, and while it's fun, it gets less funny as it continues.

It ended worse than it began. I actually think that the ending scene was the worst of the film. I didn't hate it, it just wasn't great.

The best part of the film was the bloopers in the end credits - I wish all films did that.

I feel like the film would be more successful if it either went over-the-top with the unrealistic nature of the events (making it a total comedy), or if it had stayed really realistic. Instead, it straddled the line between the two.

Overall, this is a fun way to spend 90 minutes. Go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised.

4/10


Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review