After We Fell | Film Review

So, the third 'After' movie. Of course, I was always going to review it (as I'll continue to do if more are made), but after not really enjoying the second film, I wasn't that excited to see the third. 

Just when Tessa (Josephine Langford) and Hardin (Hero Fiennes Tiffin) are back on track, a job offer, the return of a family member, and secrets from Hardin's past threaten to destroy their relationship for good.

This is a weird one for me. I would say that I didn't really like maybe 80% of the movie, but the parts that I did enjoy were enough to excite me for a possible fourth film.

The first thing I noted about the film is that it feels really juvenile. The characters feel a lot younger than they're acting - how old are they actually supposed to be?

I had a problem with Tessa's character development in the second movie, but I felt like in this one, the filmmakers have finally decided who she is going to be, and started working towards that, which is great. But the problem with this is that, the further Tessa progressed, the further Hardin regressed - to me, these characters should not be together at all.

For the first half of the movie, watching these characters go back and forth with each other is exhausting. These aren't the most interesting characters anyway, so the plot was especially important, and unfortunately the plot isn't great. It's not as bad as the plot of the second film, but it was still a bit bland.

One of the reasons that these films are watchable is because Tessa and Hardin, and their actors, have chemistry. And this chemistry is what makes these films work.

My favourite part of the film was the last half hour. It felt like the film was finally getting started right when it was about to end, which was a shame because I really liked the way the storyline went, and I liked the way the film ended.

Overall, even though I wasn't a huge fan of the film in its entirety, I enjoyed the ending enough to watch a possible next instalment.

4/10 (an extra half-star for the ending) 



Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review