Hypnotic | Film Review


This is a Netflix movie that came out a few weeks ago. I didn't know much about it, but the premise was intriguing.

Feeling stuck in all aspects of her life, Jenn (Kate Siegel) turns to a Hypnotherapist (Jason O'Mara) for help. But once Jenn lets someone into her mind, she discovers just how much danger she's in.

I enjoyed this film more than most of the reviews I've seen. It's not an amazing movie, but it definitely kept me entertained.

I immediately loved the character of Jenn. Even when the audience knows nothing about her, she is likeable and we warm to her really quickly.

I actually found all of the characters really interesting. I particularly loved Detective Wade Rollins (Dulé Hill) and Gina (Lucie Guest), because they didn't feel like the typical detective and best friend characters. Of course, some of their moments fell into cliches, but overall there was something more real about them.

The film itself is a really intriguing concept, particularly because everything is teased out in such a way that you don't get the full premise until after the film has ended.

As well as the concept being intriguing, I think it worked for me because it felt well-thought-out and smarter than your average horror movie.

The villain of this film is the number one thing that makes it work. He is such a complex, powerful character, and I'm not listing the actor because I don't want to give anything away (though it's quite obvious), but the actor did an amazing job. But having said that, each actor was perfect for their role.

I enjoyed the film from start to end, but I really enjoyed the ending and the reasoning behind some of the villain's actions. Everything was tied together really well.

Having said this, hypnotism and Hypnotherapy are great tools for a horror movie, so I was a bit disappointed that the idea of things not being as they seem wasn't pushed further and used a lot more. It really could have elevated the film.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film, and while it wasn't perfect, it was a fun way to spend 90 minutes.

6.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review