Is Life a Popularity Contest?


Hey Guys x

So, Louise Pentland (aka Sprinkle of Glitter) made a video about 'quitting' Sprinkle of Glitter. I'm going to write an in-depth post about my thoughts on this later this week (for the record, I'm with her all the way), but she said something in that video about life being a popularity contest, and it instantly made me want to write a post.

Do you think life is a popularity contest?

When we're young, our parents always say to be ourselves and to not change for the likes of someone else, and at the time, this made a lot of sense.

But as I get older, I see a lot of things that contradict this.

Let's take the example of YouTube. If you watch YouTubers, you'll have your favourites, as everyone does, including me. But for me, this is definitely due to their personalities rather than their content.

For example, Zoella has over 11 million subscribers. The more popular she gets, the more people aspire to be her and the more popular she then becomes, it's a cycle. And because of the nature of YouTube and YouTube viewers, if life is a popularity contest, you could definitely say she's winning!

But, for a more relatable example, take a job interview. There may be three people with the exact qualifications and only one space available. When it comes down to it, the boss is going to employ the person that they like the most, the person that they'll get on with - and maybe even the best looking!

In my mind, life is definitely a popularity contest. There are so many things that you can achieve by being a likeable, friendly, all-round nice person.

And that's definitely not a bad thing! I mean, who doesn't want to be liked?

Even in blogging, whether we make money or not, we definitely want our stuff to be liked.

But is there a difference between being liked and being popular? There certainly is for me!

I've never been popular in my entire life! People liked me as a person, but I wasn't one of those girls that would have everyone hanging on their every word, and I never wanted to be.

Remember when you were in school (or if you're still in school!) and someone would say that the popular girls won't be popular forever? Well, it kind of seems like they will be!

To me, being popular gets you everything - you have an amazing social life, you get al these opportunities because people like you, and people aspire to be you! Or so it seems anyway.

Anyway, I guess I don't really know the answer to this, but I think that, even if life is a popularity contest, being popular definitely isn't the only thing that matters!

Thank you for reading.

What do you think? Is life a popularity contest? Comment below!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I really liked what you said about there being a difference between being liked and being popular. I think its more important to be liked by people who are important to you in your life, but there's no way you need to please everyone in order to be popular. Really loved this post xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved this Lou!! Nobody needs to be popular. I always use this saying.. You know if you have true friends if you feel famous when you are with them. You should feel special enough and not worry about popularity. Being popular doesn't necessarily mean you are liked. Thanks for this Lou!!
    Lauren xxx
    laurelella.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree, the more popular you are, the more you get out of life, yet you can't just become more popular without changing your personality and who you are.
    I would love to see a post on your thoughts on Louise's new decision!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'