Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


Hey Guys x

I watched a film a few weeks ago, called 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' - and no, this isn't a review.

The loose plot of the film is that, a couple that have had a messy break-up get in touch with a company that can erase them from each other's memory.

However, what I really wanted to talk about was the amazing title of the film, which I have to admit, took me a while to figure out.

But it means that, if your mind is void of memories, it's constantly happy. In other words, if you have no memory of any bad things that have ever happened to you, your life will always be happy, like the sun is always shining.

And I have to say, I kind of disagree with this.

As much as, yes, if I didn't have to relive all of my embarrassing, anxiety-provoking moments I might be happier, but if I never knew sadness, I wouldn't really know happiness would I?

Like, if you've never had a lowest moment, how will you ever know what your highest moment is when all your moments are high?

I think the idea of the film was incredible (more so than the film itself, which wasn't as good as I expected it to be) - imagine if you could choose one person and then remove them from both your life and your memories forever? Would you do it?

I wouldn't. Of course, I have people in mind, but if I never knew them, I'd never know what good people are. If I never had a really crappy friend or a manipulative not-friend, how would I appreciate the amazing, non-manipulative friends that I do have?

Or, if I had never written a really bad blog post (and I'm talking, ridiculously bad!) then how would I know what writing a good one felt like?

I guess it's kind of like having regrets, things in your life that you wish had turned out differently, or that you'd go back and change if you could.

For me, changing anything would make me a completely different person than I am now - whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, I'm not really sure, but I don't know if I'd want to take that chance!

Thank you for reading.

Would you change the past? Let me know in the comments!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I would change some things from the past but not erase a person from my whole memory!! It sounds like such a wonderful movie. Is is new or old? Even if your mind is in a void of happiness, you won't know bad really. I had a manipulative friend too and it was a nightmare. However now I have learnt people aren't as nice as you think. Some people are amazing, don't get me wrong but I have realized you have to tread carefully and not give your whole life to people otherwise they can break you. If you don't ever break or experience bad things, you won't see anything bad and will be an extremely vulnerable person.
    Terrific subject Lou!! A really good discussion starter.
    Sorry that I have been inactive, I am back now!!
    Lauren xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren, I completely agree with everything you said xx

      Delete
  2. I completely agree, that is such a valid point. You can't feel happiness without feeling sadness!
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List