I 'Should' Wear Make-Up?


Hey Guys x

This is a thought that only really occurred to me yesterday, but it's actually had a big impact on me that I didn't even realise.

So, Christmas last year was when I started wearing make-up. I mean, proper make-up, concealer, blush etc etc rather than just mascara. I put it on for the first time on Christmas day and it felt really good to be made up for a special occasion.

Then I started wearing it more often, casual gatherings with friends, appointments etc.

And now it's got to the point where, if I'm going anywhere that's longer than a 5 minute walk away, I think to myself 'should I put on some make-up?'

I never thought I'd get to the point where I became reliant on something like that, it kind of snuck up on me.

Now, when I look at my face in the mirror, I don't see 'me'. I see a girl who needs to use concealer and mascara.

It's weird. Because when I was using make-up for fun, that's all it was, a bit of fun.

But when I started using it to cover up my imperfections (the dark circles under my eyes, the lashes that can't been seen behind my glasses, the uneven skin tone), those were, and are, all I can see. Even now when I look in the mirror, this is all I see and this is all I can focus on.

I actually feel uncomfortable to go out without even a bit of concealer on, and it's actually really sad.

I feel like I've lost my innocence. Gone is the girl who thought she was 'kind of pretty' without anything on her face, and gone is the girl who didn't know her concealer from her highlighter.

In her place is a girl who can only see the negative things when she dares to glance at herself in the mirror, a girl who feels the need to spend endless amounts of money to make sure that other people don't see these imperfections.

And for what? I mean, I've never known anyone in my life to look at my face and say 'wow, you've got dark circles under your eyes!' or 'Why aren't you wearing make-up?', so why do I care so much?

I don't know.

But I really want to get to the point where I don't think 'I should put make-up on', but rather, 'I don't need to wear make-up, but I can and I will!' - I think it's much healthier.

Thank you for reading.

Comment below your relationship with make-up! Is it healthy or unhealthy?

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I think it's all a game that it is very easy to lose, the entire beauty industry (from hair products, makeup and even plastic surgery) plays against us all individually and we feel alone. We feel dependent on this stuff. I know I do. But I think it's about realising your flaws aren't disgustingly obvious, it's just what rich business owners want us to believe..

    One World, Too Many Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree! I feel dependent on it too xx

      Delete
  2. I think it's super important for us all to remember that makeup isn't a way to hide ourselves. It's a form of art and a way to be creative.
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List