The Benefit of the Doubt


Hey Guys x

I used to always give people the benefit of the doubt.

For those who don't know, giving someone the benefit of the doubt is basically believing what they say because you have no other reason to doubt them than your own uncertainty.

Now, when I was younger, no matter what someone said, and no matter how I felt about it, I gave them the benefit of the doubt so that I wouldn't lose their friendship or make them think less of me for not believing them.

But now, I've completely don't a U-turn on this belief.

Now, rather than giving people the benefit of the doubt, I'm much more cynical! I now take everything that people say with a pinch of salt and don't really believe it until they prove me wrong. Of course, this is my own paranoia and I'd never voice this to anyone, but it's definitely the way that my brain works right now!

What I'm trying to work out is, which approach is better.

Is it better to believe everything someone says - to trust unconditionally until you are proven wrong?
Or to not believe everything someone says - to never trust them and HOPE that they prove you wrong?

I guess the second approach will stop you from getting hurt, because you never really believed them anyway, but you can't make friends if you can't trust anyone.

On the other hand, you can't go around believing and trusting unconditionally because that's the best way to let people hurt you, by opening yourself up to being hurt.

This is a really short post - I'm stuck on inspiration! So sorry about that!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below whether or not you give people the benefit of the doubt!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. I used to give everyone the benefit of the doubt but now as I have faced the truth and lived a little, I don't anymore. Nicely written post!
    Lauren xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Thank you xx

      Delete
    2. If I think someone is lying, i'll go along with it and pretend that i think they are telling the truth, but in my head I actually get so annoyed!
      Aleeha xXx
      http://www.halesaaw.com/

      Delete
    3. I do that sometimes too, it's so annoying! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'