The Fall Guy | Film Review

After suffering an injury on set, stuntman Colt (Ryan Gosling) returns to work to find the star of the movie has gone missing, and while trying to find him, ends up being involved in a sinister plot.

I saw the trailer for this film a while ago and thought it looked interesting and fun. And after hearing many positive reviews, I was really excited to see it!

But unfortunately, I ended up being really disappointed with it.

It took a really long time for the film to get going, and to spark my interest. I kept waiting for the main plot to start and then realised that it already had.

The opening section that sets up the characters and their relationships was way too quick - I never felt like I got to know them, and I think the film could really have benefitted from letting the audience spend more time with the characters before the one-year time jump.

It definitely wasn't as funny as it was trying to be. I can't remember now if I actually laughed more than once or twice throughout.

The camera work and stunts were great, and they are what makes the film stand out. However, it feels like more time and attention was spent on this than on the script. The dialogue was quite weak all the way through.

So many of the scenes felt way too long! And I never cared about any of the characters.

Ultimately I was a bit bored from the beginning to the end.

Overall, I like the message, and definitely believe the Oscars need to have a stunt category, but the film didn't work for me as well as it could have, and I don't really get the hype around it. 

5/10

Comments

Popular Posts

The Mouse Trap | Film Review

Apocalypse Now | 100 Movies Bucket List

Speak No Evil | Film Review

July Favourites | 2019

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review