Book Review #131: Delilah Green Doesn't Care by Ashley Herring Blake


Delilah Green swore she'd never go back to Bright Falls, but when the lucrative offer of photographing her step-sister's wedding comes up, she can't afford to refuse. Once home, Delilah reconnects with the people she wanted to leave behind, including her sister's stuck-up best friend Claire. But after all this time has passed, Delilah discovers that Claire isn't as stuck-up as she used to be. In fact, the more time she spends with her, the more Delilah finds that being back home might be better than she ever expected.

I found this book really hard to describe for some reason! But anyway, I was looking forward to reading this one. I'd owned it for a while but never felt in quite the right mood for it. But after finishing something a bit darker, it felt perfect.

I liked this book. It's not the best romance I've ever read, but I had a good time with it.

For a start, I really liked the way it was written. From the first page I sunk in straight away and really got into the story.

Another reason I got into it so quickly was because I really liked Delilah as a character. She is the person we're introduced to first, and so our alliances are with her, and I really enjoyed being in her head.

Thankfully, I also really liked the character of Claire, and her chemistry with Delilah was what kept me reading. I loved them together and all of their scenes were written really well.

Having said that, there were some things I didn't love. For a start, while it was interesting to have the sub-plot of Delilah's sister's wedding, I felt like that took away from the Delilah-Claire storyline. And I didn't dislike the sub-plot, but I definitely would have preferred if some of that space was used to further develop the main couple.

And in addition to that, the culmination of the wedding storyline was predictable and, ultimately, a bit underwhelming.

I also didn't love the supporting characters. They got better towards the end, but for the first half of the book I didn't take to them at all, and because of that, I wasn't always itching to pick the book up.

Overall this one was a mixed bag. I enjoyed reading about Delilah and Claire, and this is definitely a solid romance, but I didn't enjoy any other character's story enough to pick up either of the two sequels.

3/5

Comments

Popular Posts

A Quiet Place: Day One | Film Review

E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial | 100 Movie Bucket List

A Family Affair | Film Review

Up | 100 Movies Bucket List

Girl Talk: Affordable Back-To-School Outfits