Original Ideas | Like A Writer



Hey Guys x

So, welcome back to another 'Like A Writer' post! This time I'm talking about original ideas, or rather, my struggle with finding them!

I don't know about you, but I definitely feel like everything that I think about writing has already been done in some shape or form, and there's nothing left!

Especially because, in this day and age, things get popular so quickly because of social media. For example, 'The Girl On The Train' - it's the most popular thriller book and movie out right now, that I feel like anyone who writes a thriller will be compared to it. Not compared to the story exactly, but compared to the feeling that you get when you read it, and this is something that I definitely want to avoid when I eventually publish a novel - comparison.

Of course, comparison is unavoidable, and a bit of comparison here and there after the product is released can be a good thing, a necessary thing.

However, I hate comparing my story to something else before it's even been written - and this definitely stops me from writing!

Although for me, this definitely depends on the genre. For example, I've basically given up on trying to write anything with an element of fantasy or dystopia because it's already been done so well in Harry Potter, the Hunger Games and so on.

Comparison is an enemy of progress.

When I try to come up with an original idea, my thought process is to generally think about something that I'd love to read. Then I do some research to see if that thing already exists, because if it does, then my idea is over before it starts.

But my advice would be, if the idea that you have hasn't been done before, start writing before someone else does!

There are original ideas. There are ideas that no one has thought of that any of us could uncover in 5 seconds. The problem is, everyone is looking for them. Everyone is looking for the next big thing that no one else has thought of and if we don't find it, someone else will.

Anyway, that was a little ramble on originality in the world of fiction.

Thank you for reading!

Comment below your thoughts on this topic!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. You shouldn't have given up on writing fantasy.You should write whatever your want,because you're doing it in your unique way.I understand your way of thinking about it,but try to be more optimistic.I'm sure that your ideas are great! x http://thedreamchaser13.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely take another look at it, thank you xx

      Delete
  2. Just nominated you for the sunshine blogger award! The post on my blog has all the other details
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I want to write within the field of journalism, rather than books, I think you give great advice which can be applied to writing in general. I definitely agree that as the author you should bear in mind what you would like to read when writing :) I also feature posts about writing on my blog. Gemma xx

    http://thecreativepalette.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gemma, best of luck with journalism, I hear it's tough! xx

      Delete
    2. Thank you! Very competitive but hopefully blogging will help. Good luck in your achievements too :) Gemma xx

      http://www.thecreativepalette.co.uk

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate to this! But practice makes perfect, and different readers are drawn to different writing styles anyway; there's no one way to write any one genre. Keep writing, you're fab at it. Catriona xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I completely agree. Aw, thank you so much! xx

      Delete
  5. I totally get what you mean! Whenever any competition action type book is released, everyone immediately thinks, 'the hunger games'.
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I know commented before telling you about the award, but I hadn't actually got a chance to read this post yet!

      Delete
  6. Good news book lovers, The Girl On The Train Audio Book is now available on AudioBooksNow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'