A Fear of Public Speaking


Hey Guys x

I wrote this on the day that Donald Trump was voted the President of the United States. I was definitely not in the mood to write a positive, happy post, because along with a lot of America as well as most of the UK, I'm not happy with the result (don't ask me why I care about the US election being British, I don't have time to explain why American politics impacts the world) and am having a little trouble organising my thoughts. To be honest, if I'd posted on Sunday or Monday, I wouldn't be posting today because I'm really not in the mood.
However, I am posting. And I'm not writing a post about the election because I really don't know that much about the presidential candidates or anything to be able to give an informed opinion, so this is probably the first and last time I'll mention it on the blog unless something happens that I can't keep quiet about.

Anyway, I'm going to talk about my fear of public speaking. This is an unplanned, rough post, but it's something that I'm really worried about right now, so I thought I'd try to make myself feel better about it by writing a post.

I have to do a mini presentation in a few weeks. And by mini, it's like 1-2 minutes, so to most people it probably wouldn't be that big a deal.

But I have been worrying about this for weeks, and it's coming up, and I can't stop worrying about it, it's always in the back of my mind.

I mean, last night when I was watching the results of the election, I genuinely thought: 'I really don't want Trump to win, but even if he does, I still have to do that presentation in December' - that's how much this is weighing on my mind.

And I don't know what to do about it. I can't just not turn up on the day (which I think about doing all the time) because I don't want people to know that I feel anxious about it. I already can't speak up in the class, everyone would know how anxious I was if I conveniently didn't turn up on the day when I have to do the presentation.

I don't want to overly prepare for it because that might cause me to say something wrong or to mix up my words, and that would be more embarrassing than people knowing how anxious I was about it.

I feel like I'm stuck, there's nothing I can do to get out of this, and that's the worst feeling in the world, feeling trapped.

And I thought that this would relate to the people in America who now have that guy as a president, so I thought it was an appropriate post to write.

Thank you for reading.

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. Awh don't worry! I am experiencing the exact same thing with speeches in English. I went to one of the teachers at my school and said I was never going to be able to do it because of my anxiety. They said they would make it as easy as possible for me, which I am hoping will mean not having to perform it in front of anybody! I am sure you will do absolutely fine. Feelings cannot kill you! Remember that. :) People also cannot kill you, if they do, there will be consequences. :P I hope you have a lovely day, try to relax a little.
    Lauren xx :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! I hope yours goes well too xx

      Delete
  2. I completely get where you're coming from. I was the exact same at school, I'd stress over any presentation for weeks and weeks and weeks. Is there any way you can speak to the teacher and explain that you're feeling nervous about it? And even if you do go ahead with it, I just know you'll do an awesome job and trust me there will be loads of people in your class that feel exactly the same :)

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely have a talk with my tutor about it, thanks so much Izzy! xx

      Delete
  3. I'm afraid of public speaking for the same reasons too!
    Anyway,we should try to be more confident,I guess.Nice post :)

    http://thedreamchaser13.blogspot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of public speaking.. I have GCSE english talk next month... I'm freaking out so much.
    Aleeha xXx
    http://www.halesaaw.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion