Book Review #6: Twilight

Would you date a vampire?



I didn't read Twilight when it first came out. I am all for romance, but I must admit, I avoided the whole saga for a good 3 years before I even picked up the book. The whole idea of a vampire chick-flick completely turned me off, I like to read books that are within this time, that could really happen.

However, after being continuously pushed by my best friend, I decided to buy the first book. Just one, to take it slowly. All four had been released and the second film had just come out of DVD, but I refused to be sucked in.

I picked up the book, opened it, and I barely put it down until I had finished it. As much as I don't like fantasy books, I couldn't hide the fact that Stephanie Meyer has done an amazing job. The way that the book was written instantly made me fall in love with the character of 'Edward Cullen' and I was wishing that I could be in Bella's shoes.

The book begins with a normal girl, Bella Swan,  moving from her mother's home to her father's home, the ever rainy 'Forks'. She begins by hating it. She hates the rain, she hates the area, she hates the way that she has to tiptoe around her father, she hates how small it is and the way that everyone already knows who she is, and has no trouble staring at her throughout the day, even when she is sitting at the back of the class. Who she doesn't bargain on hating, however, is Edward Cullen. But she does. The way he acts around her makes her uneasy and she doesn't know how to react to his obvious discomfort. Then, suddenly, everything changes. And Bella's life will never be the same again.

What I loved about this book, more than anything, is that as much as the characters themselves are like nothing that you will probably ever experience, the love story is just that. Having no bias from the other books, you can't help instantly loving and rooting for this couple. You want them to work. You want Bella to fall in love with Edward the same way that you did. You want Edward to trust Bella, enough to tell her everything.

What was good?
This section is going to be long! First of all, the characters are perfect. They have the right mix of humour, reality and likeability. Even characters that you aren't supposed to like, such as James, pose a nice change from the usual characters. They are interesting to read about and you can't help but wish that, somehow, they were your friends. As well as this, the character of Bella is probably the best character of the book. If you've read my previous reviews, you will know that my favourite thing about the main characters is when they are not perfect and make mistakes. Bella is not perfect in the slightest way. She is pale, awkward and clumsy, and we love her for it. You can't understand why Edward feels the way that he does, but at the same time, you know in your heart that they should work.

What was bad?
As much as I wanted to get away from the fact, it is about vampires, and it confuses me that all of the vampire books that I have read and films that I have seen have different rules. Are vampires allergic to sunlight? Can they only enter your house if you invite them?  Do they sleep in coffins? Can you kill them with a stake to the heart or do you have to rip them apart and burn the pieces? Does anybody know?

Overall:
I loved this book. If you are avoiding it because it's a vampire book, stop avoiding it! Seriously, if you read this book with an open mind you will not be disappointed. I have read this book many times and I will certainly be reading it many more!

The Film:

Don't forget, this is now a film, starring the gorgeous Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. I recommend that you read the boom before you watch the film.

Thank you for reading. If you enjoy my reviews, please follow me so that you can be up to date with the latest ones.

Comment below for other books that you'd like me to review and if you've read any of the books that I have reviewed!

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Twilight too! Especially when I didn't think it'd be good either, and my friends (just like yours) persuaded me to do the same and I loved it - then I went to go and watch New Moon in the cinemas!
    I'm glad you enjoyed it, though and I loved the way you've written the review!
    xoxo,

    BerryBloomXO.com 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Honey, please follow me for weekly reviews just like this!
      What did you prefer, twilight or New Moon?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'