Book Review #7: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone



A review on a Tuesday is very unusual for me, but as tomorrow is the 28th May, it will be time to post my 'May Favourites', so I'm doing my review earlier.

I am one of those people that watched the film before they saw the book. I was about 11 when I saw Harry Potter for the first time, and from the first film I was completely hooked! After seeing the film, my first thought was: 'I have to read this book!'.

The book is about an orphaned boy who is sent to live with his aunt and uncle. He had been living with them for 10 years, but he never thought that he fitted in, especially because of the fact that the Dursley's and their son Dudley treated Harry as if he was a problem that they could ignore. That is, until he begun getting letters. One by one, letters addressed to Harry came through the door. Harry was never allowed to read one and he never knew what they were about. The Dursley's wanted to keep him as far away as possible from the letters, until they begin forcing their way into his life.

All of a sudden, on his 11th birthday, Harry is told that he is a Wizard, taking after his parents, and that he needs to be on the train to the best wizarding school in the country, Hogwarts. I won't spoil it too much for people who haven't yet read/seen it, but it is the beginning of a franchise that is becoming one of the most popular franchises in many countries.


Personally, the three main characters of the book are what make it the most enjoyable.
First we have Harry (Centre) who is the 'hero'. He is sarcastic and hilarious, but not perfect, making him a great protagonist.
Ron Weasley is his best friend, and by far the funniest character in the book. Some of the things that he says causes you to laugh out loud, even when you think of it days later.
Hermione Granger is the character who changed the most within the book. She began as the smart girl who's nose was never out of a book, but by proving her loyalties to Harry and Ron time and time again, she proved to be a great friend.

What was good?
Although the book obviously features a fantasy world with magic and powers, the characters could not be more down to earth and this makes the readers able to identify with them. The characters, even the 'evil' ones all have a feature that makes them compelling to read about.

What was bad?
Due to all of the characters in the book, it could be a bit confusing. One or two friends of mine had to watch the movie so that they could understand the book, however, as I watched the film first, I did not have this problem.

Overall:
I have a few friends who have refused to read this book, due to either their superstition about witchcraft, their intolerance of fantasy novels or the fact that they don't want to read something just because everyone else has. I would strongly recommend to all of these people that they take a chance and read this book. It will leave you entertained for hours on end and the sooner you finish it, the sooner you can start on the next one!

Thank you for reading.
Have you read Harry Potter? Comment below and tell me your experience of it.

Also comment below and give me other books that you have enjoyed so that I can read them and review them!

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List