How It Ends | Film Review

Image result for how it ends poster

Hey Guys x

I saw this a few days after it came out on Netflix, and I have to admit that the only thing about it that appealed to me was that it starred Kat Graham, who is one of my favourite actresses - I wasn't particularly intrigued by the concept.

The film is about a man who is visiting his almost-in-laws when disaster strikes. When he finds himself in the middle of, what feels like, the end of the world, he and his father-in-law-to-be must get across the country and back to his pregnant fiancee before it's too late.

I have mixed feelings about this film.

The beginning of it was really good. You get to see a little bit of what Will and Sam are like as a couple, you get to see Will's dynamic with Sam's parents, and when the apocalypse starts to happen, you get to see how tough Sam's father really is.

And then it gets a bit... tedious.

They're driving for a long time, and it seems like the entire world is out to get them, in the same way that has been done in many other movies of this genre, like 'War of the Worlds'. And to an extent, like those other films, you do want this unlikely pairing to succeed.

But the more you watch, the less interested you are in these people and their self-made mission. You look at the clock wondering how long it's going to take, you sigh as you think about how long they have left on this journey, you wonder how they're surviving in the first place. And after all this wondering is done, you just can't bring yourself to care about what happens to them.

This might be a spoiler alert, but there is a death in the film, and I barely noticed. And when I rewound the movie to watch the scene and to see the aftermath, I found that I didn't care.

But the worst thing for me about the film was the ending. I mean, there's a difference between having an ambiguous ending and a completely unfinished one with no explanation for anything. Not only do I not know why the apocalypse happened, but I also don't know why I spent the better part of two hours trying to make myself invested in a movie that wouldn't answer the questions it raised.

Overall, I wouldn't really recommend this film, but if you're into the whole sci-fi genre, then you still might want to see it to make your own decision. Let's just say I'm not the biggest fan.

Lou

Comments

Popular Posts

Wonka | Film Review

Miller's Girl | Film Review

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Holding Grudges