The Oscars: My Wishes and Predictions!

Image result for the oscars

Hey Guys x

I'm so fricking excited for the Oscars I can't even describe! I'm also excited to write this post, which I've been wanting to write for so long!

So today, I'll be filling you in on the Oscar categories and nominees, telling you who I think will win, and telling you who I want to win.

I really hope you enjoy reading this as much as I enjoy writing it.

But before I go into the categories, I'm going to rate my best picture nominees, because I've finally gotten around to seeing all of them!

I've reviewed all these movies. Click their names to see my post about them!

9. Arrival

8. Fences

7. Lion

6. Hacksaw Ridge

5. La La Land

4. Hell or High Water

3. Manchester By The Sea

2. Moonlight

1. Hidden Figures

Hacksaw Ridge and Lion are pretty much interchangeable on this list, as are Moonlight and Manchester, but I definitely stand by the rest!

Now, onto my wishes and predictions!

Best Picture
The nominees are above, so I don't need to write them again here!

Prediction: La La Land

Wish:
Hidden Figures

I'm pretty sure everyone thinks that La La Land will win, me included. But to be honest, I'd like many of the other nominees to have a chance of winning, because they all deal with amazingly difficult topics in amazing ways. Hidden Figures is my favourite, so obviously that, but Moonlight would also be an amazing, well-deserved winner.

Best Director

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival
Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge
Damien Chazelle, La La Land
Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By The Sea
Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Prediction: Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Wish: Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester By The Sea

Again, everyone pretty much thinks La La Land has this in the bag. And to be honest, the film was wonderfully directed and I want it to win if Manchester doesn't. But there's something about Manchester that just pulled me in, and I think that was down to the direction, as well as the acting and writing. Kenneth Lonergan is such a talented director, and he did amazing things with this film, so I'd like to see him win.

Best Actress
Isabelle Huppert, Elle
Ruth Negga, Loving
Natalie Portman, Jackie
Emma Stone, La La Land
Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Prediction: Emma Stone, La La Land

Wish: Emma Stone, la La Land

Yep, this one is easy for me. Emma Stone was amazing in La La Land, and I think that she deserves this Oscar so much! Whether I was completely enthralled with the film or not, I was in love with Emma's performance. She's incredible!

Best Actor
Casey Affleck, Manchester By The Sea
Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge
Ryan Gosling, La La Land
Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic
Denzel Washington, Fences

Prediction: Denzel Washington, Fences

Wish: Casey Affleck, Manchester By The Sea

I think Denzel has a very good chance, but I'd straightaway give this to Casey. I'd give everything to Casey, I think he's amazing, in this film and in other films that he's been in. Luckily, because he won a Golden Globe and a BAFTA, I do think that Casey has an alright chance, but I don't want to jinx it because I'll be SO upset if he doesn't get it because he deserves it so much! As you can tell, I'm loving Casey Affleck at the moment!

Best Supporting Actress
Viola Davis, Fences
Naomie Harris, Moonlight
Nicole Kidman, Lion
Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures
Michelle Williams, Manchester By The Sea

Prediction: Viola Davis, Fences

Wish: Viola Davis, Fences

If you've seen Fences, or more specifically, seen Viola's performance, you'll know why I think she deserves this. She's amazing in everything she does, a total queen. I really really want her to win, and I genuinely think that she has a really good chance!

Best Supporting Actor
Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water
Lucas Hedges, Manchester By The Sea
Dev Patel, Lion
Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Prediction: Dev Patel, Lion

Wish: Lucas Hedges, Manchester By The Sea

I think Dev Patel was really good in Lion. However, Lucas gave a phenomenal performance in Manchester and I'd really like him to win. I don't think he will, but I'd love him to. Plus we were born on the same day, so I feel like I have to support him for that alone!

Best Original Screenplay
Hell or High Water
La La Land
The Lobster
Manchester By The Sea
20th Century Women

Prediction: La La Land or Manchester By The Sea

Wish: Hell or High Water

I think that La La Land have a great chance of winning this, and Manchester a very close second, if not winning themselves. However, I feel like Hell or High Water really deserves this. The screenplay was the thing that really stood out in this film, for me. It made the dynamic between the brothers so heartfelt and delicate, and I think that Taylor Sheridan, the writer, deserves the highest of praises for this.

Best Adapted Screenplay
Arrival
Fences
Hidden Figures
Lion
Moonlight

Prediction: Hidden Figures

Wish: Moonlight

I think Hidden Figures could win this one, but Moonlight was just so striking and wonderful, I'd love the script to win something because it was amazing.

I never got to see any of the nominees for the Best Foreign Film, Best Animated Feature Film, Best Documentary Feature or Best Short Subject Documentary - so I don't think it's right for me to make any predictions without any knowledge.

Best Original Song
"Audition", La La Land
"Can't Stop The Feeling", Trolls
"City of Stars", La La Land
"The Empty Chair", Jim: The James Foley Story
"How Far I'll Go", Moana

Prediction: "City of Stars", La La Land

Wish: "Audition", La La Land

I think it's clear that La La Land is winning this one. However, if it was up to me, I'd give this to Mia's solo audition song. I thought it was much more special, more poignant, and Emma Stone's best performance in the film. I like the fact that it wasn't the (kind of cliché) duet that "City of Stars" is and I think it deserves a lot of recognition.

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Arrival
La La Land
Moonlight
Lion
Silence

Prediction: La La Land

Wish: Arrival

I'd really like Arrival to win something, even though it was my least favourite of the Best Picture nominees, because it was very visually stunning if nothing else. I feel that the cinematography was done with care and precision, and should be recognised as amazing.

Best Achievement in Production Design
Arrival
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Hail, Caesar!
La La Land
Passengers

Prediction: La La Land

Wish: Arrival

For the same reasons as above, I feel like Arrival really does deserve this award because they did an amazing job with this!

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Allied
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
Florence Foster Jenkins
Jackie
La La Land

Prediction: La La Land

Wish: La La Land

The costumes in La La Land were honestly iconic, particularly Mia's yellow dress. They definitely deserve this one!

Best Achievement in Film Editing
Arrival
Hacksaw Ridge
Hell or High Water
La La Land
Moonlight

Prediction: La La Land

Wish: Arrival or Hacksaw Ridge

Arrival and Hacksaw Ridge would really deserve this award, so I'd love for them to have it! Any of the films on this list could have this and deserve it, but I really think one of these has a good chance.

Best Achievement in Make-up and Hairstyling
A Man Called Ove
Star Trek Beyond
Suicide Squad

Image result for jaylah

I don't know how this is judged, but if Star Trek doesn't win, based on the picture above of the newest character Jaylah, I don't even know what's happening!

Best Original Score
Jackie
La La Land
Lion
Moonlight
Passengers

Prediction and Wish: La La Land

There's no contest. La La Land had the best score. If there's an award for sound or music, La La Land deserves to win because that was one of the best things about the movie.
In addition, I also think La La Land should win Best Achievement in Sound Editing and Best Achievement in Sound Mixing.

The last awards are for Best Animated Short Film, Best Live-Action Short Film and Best Achievement in Visual Effects - the nominees for which I haven't had the chance to see.

Thank you for reading this incredibly long post!

What do you think about my predictions? Agree or disagree, comment below!

Lou xx

Comments

  1. So pleased for Emma Stone, I loved her in La La Land! Still can't believe how wrong it all went with announcing best picture though ! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! And OMG it was crazy! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'