Working With Brands As A Small Blogger


Hey Guys x

Working with brands is something that really interests me, and as some of you have been asking me questions about it lately, I thought I'd give my opinions and some advice about brand deals.

You may notice that I haven't done a lot of brand deals, so I'm not the most experienced person in the world. But there's a reason why I turn down most of the deals that are offered to me.

Again, this is just my opinion, which doesn't reflect all brands or all bloggers.

Also, the term 'small blogger' isn't meant to be offensive, it's just some people that get less views than others, which is completely fine, and I know that a lot of my readers categorise themselves as small bloggers anyway, which I also do.

Brands Want YOU
This is something that I can't say enough. Often I see bloggers getting really worried about whether they're good enough to work with that brand or about changing the type of post they want to do. When a brand contacts you, it's because they like what you do and want you to represent them. If your stats aren't a problem for them, then they certainly shouldn't be a problem for you! And, brands are humans, so don't be scared to say 'this isn't really what I do, can I do this instead?' because they chose you and your blog for a reason. And if they then decide not to work with you, then they weren't worth your time in the first place!

Taking Advantage
This is something that I find personally, but you may not see the same thing. For me, it seems like some brands think that, because I'm a small blogger, I don't get any offers of work. And because of this, they then feel like they can have complete control of what I post, the pictures I use, and sometimes the actual words that I have to say. This especially annoys me if they want me to promote something that my readers know I would never use and can see right through.
In addition to this, they can also be seen as taking advantage if they offer no compensation, gifting or promotion of your blog and want you to promote them just because. If you have no prior knowledge of the brand, you shouldn't be expected to just pop out a quick post because they tell you to. Don't be scared to say no!

Do Your Research
This is all down to you. Make sure you research the company THOROUGHLY before you decide to work with them. Look at what they want you to promote, other things that they sell (for example, if they want you to promote a ring, look at the bracelets and necklaces too), look at the ethos of the company and make sure that this company represents your blog well, because if you promote something that you're not passionate about, your readers will see right through it!

Don't Turn Down Companies Based On Their Stats
If you're a small blogger, then smaller companies are probably going to contact you. Don't turn down a company because you think they're not popular enough. If they want you to promote something that makes sense with your blog, then promote it. Even if you get no comments or views on it, that company may put you on a list to use again, and other companies may also want to use you based on that one review. So, if you like it, take it!

Join Websites Connecting Bloggers To Brands
This is my last piece of advice, and it's the most important. If you want to work with brands, the best way to find the best ones is to join some websites. 'The Blogger Programme' and 'E-tail PR Bloggers network' are two ones that I have joined (neither that long ago). You input your stats and then either companies can contact you or you can apply for opportunities that would suit you. The only thing wrong with this is that it's hard to work with these brands because they want high stats. So far I haven't been able to find any that suit my blog or that I have high enough stats for, but those websites are still really helpful, especially for when you're growing your blog!

Thank you for reading. I hope my advice helps you out when it comes to working with brands!

Comment below what you think about brand deals!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. Hi, great post it was so interesting, I would like to know how they'd find you, I know you said it on the last one but is there another way at all xoxo
    Ella
    ellacrabb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a really interesting and helpful post ( I would love to see more on similar topics ) I've saved it so i can reference to it whenever I need ! Great post honey :)

    Lots of love, Marianne xxx

    http://myhappybubblexx.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. as per usual great, and well written!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I think I need to be more confident about approaching brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! After all, the worst thing that they can say is 'no', and they'll say it politely because they still want you to use their company! xx

      Delete
  5. Fantastic post! Definitely things to keep in mind when approaching companies

    Made in MauveBloglovin

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

American Psycho | 100 Movies Bucket List

Miller's Girl | Film Review

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes