First Week At University!


Hey Guys x

I started university last week, so I thought I'd write a post about my first week and let you know what  got up to!

My course is made up of lectures and seminars. For those who don't know, lectures are when everyone doing you course sits in the same lecture theatre and have a lecturer talking to them about a certain topic. A seminar is a smaller group who then discuss what was said in the lecture.

So anyway, these are the only things that I have to go in for each week.

One thing that my uni did that was really good was that they had a few days before uni began, for people to come in and meet other people from their course. This was really great as it meant that I already knew some people and had friends to meet up with before going to our first lecture.

As it was the first week, all of the lectures were introductory lectures, and all the lecturers basically told us the same things! But it was useful for getting us used to going to lectures.

Anyway, my advice for lectures is just to keep listening! I think it's so easy to tune out when the lecturers are speaking really fast and you feel like you can't keep up, but I always kept my pen ready to catch anything that seemed important.

Now, on to seminars. The biggest thing about seminars is that they're primarily a discussion, so you have to be willing to discuss. This is really weird, especially when discussion isn't always encouraged at school, and when it is it's generally a few people speaking and everyone else listening, but in seminars there's generally equal discussion.

Anyway, because all of my lectures were introductions, so were my seminars. All about getting to know the people on the course and them getting to know you.

The thing I find the weirdest about uni is the fact that you have a lot of time off, but you have to much to do that it's like you're working full time! I really commend people that work and go to uni at the same time because I honestly don't know how you do it!

For me, I have to spend a lot of time reading books, books that I wouldn't really read. You know, the classic books that you'd like if you didn't have to study them, but the fact that you do have to study them means that you hate them? Yeah, them.

For example, I get Tuesdays and Wednesdays off, and I spent this week trying to read the books that I have to read for the next two weeks. It's full on!

I guess the thing that I want you to take away from this post, more than anything, is the fact that I'm enjoying it. If you're contemplating uni and not sure whether you'd like it or not, I personally do like it. I mean, if it's not for you it's not for you, but if you like getting involved in discussions and there is a subject that you'd love to study, I'd encourage you to go for it!

Thank you for reading!

Comment below your opinions on university!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. Really glad to hear that you are enjoying Uni!

    Rae | Love from Berlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you're enjoying university! Best of luck ;)

    TheDonkeyInvasion - A Bookish Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're enjoying yourself, what corer do you do? I recently started uni and my course is based on lectures and seminars as well X
    Becky Shannon xx - Life-by-Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm doing English with creative writing, what course are you doing? xx

      Delete
  4. This sounds so exciting. Right now I'm thinking I won't go to uni (or not just yet anyway) but it actually sounds like a lot of fun. Please keep us updated on how you get on and I hope you really enjoy it. Congrats on starting uni xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Don't push yourself to make any quick decisions about uni, just do what feels right when the time comes xx

      Delete
  5. Really awesome post, and glad you're settling in. For my course, it was full on too, but truly enjoyed it. All the making and creativity lolls, nerd much...?! Anyway, take care. Hope the book reading goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you're definitely not a nerd! Thank you xx

      Delete
  6. Really awesome post, and glad you're settling in. For my course, it was full on too, but truly enjoyed it. All the making and creativity lolls, nerd much...?! Anyway, take care. Hope the book reading goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post for people like me who are still at school but wonder what its like there Em. Xx

    http://emsworld11.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to know you're enjoying uni so far! Good luck for the upcoming years!

    Girl Abroad xx
    http//girlabroadblogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm so glad to hear that you've been loving uni :D I'm currently attending college but will soon graduate with my associates. I'm planning on continuing over at a university but I'm kind of nervous about the lectures. Would you say it's harder since the lectures are so big. Like theres so many students in the class with you? or do you find it to be just as normal as a small amount of people. If that makes sense? haha

    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's not harder because in the lectures you just have to take notes. But for the seminars, it's much easier to have a smaller class as, that way, it's easier for your voice to be heard during group discussions xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Snatch | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review