Anyone But You | Film Review

After a great first date that quickly goes bad, Bea (Sydney Sweeney) and Ben (Glen Powell) despise each other. But when they are both invited to a destination wedding, they decide to fake date to stop their animosity from ruining the wedding celebrations.

I didn't pay much attention to this film until I started seeing the reviews. I haven't seen a really good rom-com in a while, so hearing that this was quite a good one made me excited to see it!

I liked this film, but I didn't love it.

The meet-cute was really fun and unique, and a good way for the audience to get to know the characters.

The cast is great, and the characters are all played really well. The main characters in particular are really fun to watch, especially when they're arguing. The dialogue is written really well and it's an enjoyable watch, but I never felt like I really got to know them, and so I never felt 100% invested in their stories.

And with that, while I enjoyed their interactions, I never really bought them as a potential couple. Something about the chemistry wasn't working for me, for whatever reason. There were definitely many times throughout the film when I thought the characters would be better with other people.

It feels like a really long time before anything of importance happens with these characters, and when things do happen, everything builds up to a will they/won't they that goes on and on. The way things tended to take two steps forward and one step back made the film feel longer than it was.

There were some funny moments, but overall the film wasn't as funny as I wanted or expected it to be.

My main issue with the film is that, as far as I can see, the characters never needed to fake date in the first place. They could have pretended to be amicable, or even friends, and still got the same result. 

Overall this had some really cute moments, and it was enjoyable, I just never really believed in the main couple's chemistry. And as it's a rom-com, I needed the chemistry to be believable to really enjoy the film.

6/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Imaginary | Film Review