Wonka | Film Review


Young Willy Wonka (Timothée Chalamet) tries to follow his dreams to become a respected chocolatier, despite opposition at every turn.

This film was never particularly high on my 'to-watch' list, but it was always on my radar, so I'm glad I've finally seen it.

I liked this movie a lot more than I thought I would, but I still definitely had problems with it!

For a start, while I love the fact that it was a musical, I didn't actually like any of the actual songs. None of them really stood out (except the one that's already known) and having only seen the film yesterday, I can't remember any of them.

In fact, while the songs didn't hurt the film, I also don't feel like they were completely necessary. I would have liked the film the same amount if it hadn't been a musical.

Wonka is a really charming character, and Chalamet plays him really well. In fact, the entire cast is great - definitely the best thing about the film by a mile. The relationship between Wonka and Noodle (Calah Lane) is the heart of the film.

I loved the actual events of the film - even though it feels geared towards a younger audience, there's a lot that adult audiences can get out of it. Especially because all of the conflicts that take place feel like actual problems that aren't easily solved. The stakes feel higher than you'd expect.

As well as being entertaining, the film is also really fun and feel-good, particularly in its themes of friendship and found family. 

And then there's the ending, which for me was probably the best part. It was so sweet, and it felt like a great payoff after watching everything the character goes through to achieve his dream.

Overall, this was a lot better than I thought it would be. A really sweet, feel-good film with great characters and an interesting plot. Definitely worth a watch!

7/10


Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review