The Menu | Film Review

I watched this film pretty much as soon as it came out on Disney+ (UK). I didn't know what it was about but had seen people talking about it. And to be honest, I think not knowing what it's about is the best way to watch it.

A group of people attend an exclusive restaurant with a tasting menu prepared by an acclaimed chef. But the chef has also prepared a plethora of surprises that none of the guests expect.

This is a weird one for me. I didn't love the film while watching it, but after sitting with it for a few days, I actually liked it more than I initially thought.

It took a while for me to 'get'. At the beginning of the film, I had no idea where it was going, and it took a while to actually understand. But this is definitely in the design of the film and just makes it more compelling.

The film has such an odd tone. It puts you on edge and you have no idea why, particularly at the beginning.

It's really well-written and only gets better as the film continues and you start to understand the intention behind some things happening.

The way I would describe the film loosely is like 'Burnt' meets 'Saw', and if I had heard that description before seeing it, I definitely would have been so much more excited to watch it.

I was never bored while watching it, but it took a while for me to get enthralled. Only in the last third did I find myself actually feeling excited to see how it would end.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this film. It is original, captivating and completely unexpected. Definitely check this out if you have a chance - I can't wait to watch it again.

7/10



Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion