Barbarian | Film Review

I heard a lot about this film towards the end of last year, so I added it to my list to watch as soon as possible, and I'm so glad I did!

When Tess (Georgina Campbell) discovers that her rental home has been double-booked, she spends the night in the home with a stranger. But soon, the stranger is the least of her worries.

This film is best when you know nothing about it, so I've left the description somewhat vague.

I absolutely loved this film. It's a really early contender for film of the year already!

I found there was something nostalgic about the film, especially the beginning. It reminded me of old-school horror, which I didn't even realise I'd been missing.

I warmed to the characters easily, especially Tess. The dialogue is authentic, and the characters and actors work well together.

At less than half an hour in, before anything really happened, I was on the edge of my seat. There was so much tension that it was actually quite scary, but I had no idea why I was scared or what was in store. I loved that.

There was so much anticipation that I actually had to pause the film a couple of times because I was genuinely worried about what would happen next. I was on the edge of my seat for most of the film.

The change in tone that happens a couple of times throughout the film feels jarring, and the first of these continue for a bit too long, but each time I actually felt it was really needed. It let me reset and breathe, and I really welcomed it.

There were some really interesting shots throughout the film, and the camera work just made it an even better watch.

Overall, this is a unique story told in a really interesting way. The story, cast, writing and everything else was amazing and I'd definitely recommend this to any horror fan.

8.5/10




Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion