Emily The Criminal | Film Review

I'd been meaning to watch this movie since it first came out, so it seemed like the perfect review to start the year with!

Emily (Aubrey Plaza), saddled with debt and unable to find a job, becomes involved in a credit card scam to start making money.

I really enjoyed this film. I was interested in the premise immediately, but I was actually surprised by how much I liked it.

The story, and Emily, are painted in a sympathetic, somewhat relatable light. Emily is a really interesting character, and it is easy to understand exactly how she gets into the situation she's in, even if you wouldn't make the same decisions she does.

The film is really captivating - there were moments when I didn't want to look away from the screen.

The characters are well-written and fleshed out.

Great acting from everyone involved, but Aubrey Plaza and Theo Rossi (Youcef) are the obvious standouts, and they had great chemistry.

The third act was my favourite. The film took a turn I wasn't expecting, which made things all the more exciting.

I also loved that there was a bit of a social commentary here, particularly in the scene of Emily's job interview. Again it reiterates how Emily is in the situation she's in, and how common these struggles are.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this movie - it's a really interesting, edge-of-your-seat thriller that's definitely worth seeing!

8/10

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion