A Quiet Place Part II | Film Review

I saw the first 'A Quiet Place' movie when it came out and I absolutely loved it - you can read my review here. However, I was never particularly excited about this sequel because I didn't think the first film needed a follow-up. But I was interested to see where it would go.

Following the events of the first film, the Abbott family must leave their home as they fight for their survival. But can their silence save them from the terrors awaiting them?

I didn't enjoy this film as much as the first one, for a number of reasons.

Having said that, I really did enjoy the first scene. In fact I enjoyed the first scene so much that I want to watch a prequel. I actually found this idea much more interesting than what the rest of the film was about.

I felt a lot less connected to the characters this time around. This is probably because we had a lot more time to get to know the characters in the first film, and this one only focused on the story. However, I didn't really feel like I knew them at all.

The use of sound is as important in this film as it is in the first, and it is done just as well. Sound is used in a really clever, unique and powerful way, and that has become the signature of these movies.

Another signature of these movies is the way that tension is created. John Krasinski, who directed the first movie, also directed this one, and he has become a master of creating tension.

Speaking of John Krasinski (Lee Abbott), while I really liked the addition of Cillian Murphy (Emmett) in the movie, I definitely felt that something was lost by not having Lee in it. I also felt this way at the end of the first movie, but of course, there wasn't a lot of time to miss him. But I definitely felt his loss in this one.  

The film feels a lot longer than it is. This could be because a lot is packed into a small amount of time, but I felt like seeing some characters for longer than others could have contributed to this. The pacing didn't feel even.

My biggest disappointment with this film is that Emily Blunt (Evelyn Abbott) wasn't given more to do. In the first film this is excused because she is pregnant, but to me it just felt like her purpose was quite domestic. I would have loved for this character to completely take charge, save the day and become the hero that Krasinski's Lee was in the first film. Instead, this hero role was shared by Murphy's Emmett, and Regan Abbott, played by Millicent Simmonds. While I absolutely loved that Regan was given much more of an take-charge role this time around, it would have been nice for the whole family to get this - even if it meant that the addition of Murphy's Emmett wasn't needed.

Overall, this is a good movie that will definitely keep you entertained, but for me it wasn't a patch on the first.

6/10


  

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

Suncoast | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review