Godzilla vs. Kong | Film Review

This was one of my most highly anticipated movies of the last year - seriously. I have loved the last few King Kong movies I've seen and am a big fan of them. I'm less up-to-date with Godzilla, but the idea of these two worlds colliding was, for some reason, really exciting to me.

After Godzilla resurfaces, experts bring King Kong out of his containment zone to subdue the monster.

I liked this movie. However, you have to go into this movie expecting it to be exactly what it is - a film about two fictional monsters fighting each other. Otherwise, like me, you might have some questions.

For a start, I don't think the reason for bringing King Kong out of his home was good enough. I didn't understand why Kong was the sole threat to Godzilla, or how it would be a fair fight. 

But I loved the fight scenes - to be honest, if you're watching this movie, you're watching it for the fight(s), and these scenes were done really well.

I liked the connection to previous films, but I wish I had gone into this having seen the most recent Godzilla film, as I would have been more familiar with the monster itself, and some of the characters in the film who reprised their roles (unlike 'Kong: Skull Island', whose cast members didn't return).

These are two main storylines in the film, and after a while, these storylines start to feel like two separate movies, and it took a while to work out how they would come together.

There were times when the story got a bit confusing, and you don't quite know what's happening. Having said that, I found that, even when I didn't know what was going on, I was always engaged and along for the ride.

The ending fight was really predictable, because it's what happens in sci-fi films whenever humans get involved with nature. However, it was exactly what I wanted to happen, and it was the only time during the movie when I felt truly excited.

Throughout the movie, I couldn't help but think what this could have been if it had also been crossed over with Jurassic World. There were so many similarities to the first JW movie that I just kept imagining the Indominus Rex joining the fight, and how much I would have loved seeing that. Sequel anyone?

Overall, I enjoyed this movie for exactly what it was. Yes it was unrealistic, a bit silly, not exactly high-brow entertainment, but that's exactly what I wanted. You either like this genre of film, or you don't. I love it.

6.5/10

  

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

Suncoast | Film Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review