Wonder Woman 1984 | Film Review

 

I absolutely loved the first Wonder Woman movie, so I've been waiting for the sequel for a long time. I had read mixed reviews but wanted to come to my own conclusion.

In the year 1984, Diana Prince (Gal Gadot) comes across an artefact that grants wishes, which leads her to two enemies that she must defeat. But when a familiar face returns, Diana's fight becomes harder than ever.

I am so disappointed with this film. I didn't really know much about it going in, but I feel like there were so many ways that it could have been better.

The opening scene felt really long and unnecessary. It didn't really connect to the rest of the film, and I felt like the filmmakers only included it so that the audience didn't forget about Themyscira. The film would have been better without it.

And this theme of scenes being too long continued throughout the film. It kind of felt like every single scene was drawn out with almost no purpose. This film didn't need to be so long.

I loved having Chris Pine back - he is one of my favourite actors in the world, and was one of the best parts of the first film. However, I'm not a fan of the way he came back into this story. Not only was it a bit weird, but it didn't actually make sense. Without spoiling anything, if his comeback involved magic, could he not have come back as himself?

I actually like the concept of the film, the wishes and the way that the storyline is controlled by them. It's unique and entertaining. However, after a while, the concept and the film itself gets a bit boring.

And touching on the wish aspect of the film, it became flimsy at best. It was like the filmmakers said, 'if you wish for something, you lose something', and then didn't actually develop that further. 

There was a point, about an hour and a half in, with an hour left, when I acknowledged that I was only watching the rest of the film for Chris Pine. There was nothing in it for me anymore, I didn't care how it ended, and if it hadn't been for the actors, I may not have finished.   

Speaking of the actors, the film stars Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig and Pedro Pascal, and not only were they all great, but their performances were the only thing carrying the film, because the plot and writing didn't do them any favours. 

It got to the point where I didn't even have anything else to write, because everything took so long to happen, but the events were so underwhelming that they weren't worth making notes on. The film could have easily been an hour shorter.

The ending was predictable, but it was one of the only things that actually made sense, so I didn't mind it.

I remember seeing the first Wonder Woman movie. I remember exactly how I felt all the way through and when it ended, and the effect that it had on me. Compared to that, this one was so disappointing.

Overall, this movie has moments of fun, and a somewhat interesting storyline, but ultimately it could have (and should have) been a lot better. I expected so much more for the sequel of Wonder Woman.

4/10


  

   

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Anyone But You | Film Review

Suncoast | Film Review

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'