The Oscars 2018: My Wishes and Predictions

Image result for the oscars


Hey Guys x

It's Oscar time again! I am so excited for this year's award show TOMORROW, but of course, this post has to come first.

Obviously, I'm only gonna be able to predict the winners for the categories that I've seen at least a majority of the films, so a few categories will definitely be getting left out as I haven't had a chance to see everything yet.

Just like last year, I'll start by ranking my picks for Best Picture, and if you click on each film's name, you'll be taken to my review of it. But just to let you know, I think my least favourites in particular are kind of controversial because I seemed to really dislike a lot of the films that the majority of people seemed to love! But who cares? Opinions are opinions and film is subjective.

9. The Post

8. Call Me By Your Name

7. Dunkirk

6. Phantom Thread

5. Darkest Hour

4. Lady Bird

3. Get Out

2. The Shape of Water

1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

If you haven't seen any of these movies, you really should because there's definitely a reason that they've all been nominated!

Best Picture
The nominees are above, so there's no point writing them out again.

Prediction: Three Billboards

Wish: Three Billboards

Based on the BAFTA success of this movie, I think most people are assuming that it will win, and I'd love for it to. This year, I'd be happy if any of my top 5 won (which is great because it just shows the calibre of movies this year), but I really do think Three Billboards might take it. Although 'The Shape of Water' probably also has a really good shot, and maybe 'Dunkirk' too.

Lead Actor

Timothée Chalamet, “Call Me by Your Name”
Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”
Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”



Prediction: Gary Oldman

Wish: Gary Oldman

Again, based on his BAFTA and Golden Globe success, this definitely seems like a no-brainer. I'd also love for Daniel Kaluuya to win, but I think that Gary Oldman's performance in 'Darkest Hour' was beyond incredible. He didn't just act, he completely transformed into Winston Churchill and,for that, I think he deserves this award more than anyone else on this list.

Lead Actress
Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water”
Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya”
Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”

Meryl Streep, “The Post”

Prediction: Frances McDormand

Wish: Frances McDormand or Margot Robbie

Again, the BAFTAs were pretty revealing, and it looks like Frances is going to take this award, and so she should because her performance was amazing. And to be honest, I'd have no problem with any of these women winning, but for me, Margot Robbie was the one who completely changed to create this character, and she was the only one aside from Meryl Streep playing a character that was based on a real person. And she was definitely the only one playing an athlete - and what an amazing job she did!

Supporting Actor
Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Prediction: Sam Rockwell

Wish: Sam Rockwell

AGAIN, the BAFTAs made this pretty clear, but luckily this is one that I 100% agree with and would be really happy if it was true. Sam Rockwell was incredible in this movie, his character was the one that went through the most and changed the most, and he played it perfectly. In fact, his character was one of the only ones within the film to make me cry. 

Supporting Actress
Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”
Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water”


Prediction: Allison Janney

Wish: Octavia Spencer or Laurie Metcalf

I found this one the hardest to predict, and ended up going with Allison Janney just because she won the BAFTA. But if it was up to me, I'd definitely be giving this award to either Octavia Spencer or Laurie Metcalf. Not only are they amazing actresses in general, but they are completely outstanding in their perspective films. All of these actresses are, and if Allison Janney takes home the award then I will be so happy (especially because I, Tonya needs all the love), but if it was solely up to me, Octavia or Laurie would have it.

Director

“Dunkirk,” Christopher Nolan
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“Phantom Thread,” Paul Thomas Anderson
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro


Prediction: Christopher Nolan or Guillermo del Toro

Wish: Guillermo del Toro

I would love Guillermo del Toro to win this so much! I think 'The Shape of Water' was incredibly directed, and I think the direction and cinematography was what made it so outstanding. While most movies are a movie directed by a director, this movie is a Guillermo del Toro movie, and only the best directors know how to put their own stamp on a movie, especially a movie that is considered for award success. Plus, he won the BAFTA and Golden Globe for his direction, so I feel like he has a really great chance!

Adapted Screenplay

“Call Me by Your Name,” James Ivory
“The Disaster Artist,” Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber
“Logan,” Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green
“Molly’s Game,” Aaron Sorkin
“Mudbound,” Virgil Williams and Dee Rees


Prediction: Call Me by Your Name

Wish: Logan

I think 'Call Me by Your Name' will win because of the way that people go on about it, but to be honest I would really rather Logan win. I think Logan was amazing, and it's even amazing that it is up for such a prestigious award because it's a superhero movie. But it was such an amazing end to the Wolverine arc of the 'X-Men' franchise. It was well written, it made me cry, it made me laugh, it made me feel all the feelings, and I want this to win more than anything else, because it truly deserves it.

Original Screenplay

“The Big Sick,” Emily V. Gordon & Kumail Nanjiani
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele

“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro, Vanessa Taylor
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh


Prediction: Three Billboards

Wish: The Big Sick or Get Out

This is the first award that I'm predicting 'Three Billboards' for where I actually want other films to win more. The Big Sick was written by Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordon, two people that I very much admire and respect. When I saw that they were nominated I was so freaking happy because their movie is INCREDIBLE! Plus, they're the only ones writing about a true story, so they should get something for that alone. However, I also loved Get Out. And let's be honest, the best thing about that movie was the script, and the concept. Jordan Peele did an amazing job with that, and if the movie wins anything, it should be this.

Cinematography

“Blade Runner 2049,” Roger Deakins
“Darkest Hour,” Bruno Delbonnel
“Dunkirk,” Hoyte van Hoytema
“Mudbound,” Rachel Morrison
“The Shape of Water,” Dan Laustsen


Prediction: The Shape of Water

Wish: The Shape of Water

The cinematography of this film, the way it was filmed, was amazing, and one of the best things about it. I also feel like 'Dunkirk' could have a good chance with this one, but for me it has to be 'The Shape of Water', because it's just stunning.

Film Editing

“Baby Driver,” Jonathan Amos, Paul Machliss
“Dunkirk,” Lee Smith
“I, Tonya,” Tatiana S. Riegel
“The Shape of Water,” Sidney Wolinsky
“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Jon Gregory


Prediction: The Shape of Water

Wish: I, Tonya

While it's lovely to see Baby Driver getting some much deserved recognition, I'd definitely give this award to I, Tonya. I think this film deserves so much because it's an incredible film, to the point where it would probably be my wish for Best Picture if it was nominated, which it isn't. But the way that it was edited together was a huge part of the movie, including the decision to film the major scenes as flashbacks. The editing was a huge part of this film, and it should definitely win an award for it.

Production Design
“Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood; Katie Spencer
“Blade Runner 2049,” Dennis Gassner, Alessandra Querzola
“Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
“Dunkirk,” Nathan Crowley, Gary Fettis
“The Shape of Water,” Paul D. Austerberry, Jeffrey A. Melvin, Shane Vieau


Prediction: The Shape of Water or Dunkirk

Wish: The Shape of Water

I guess this isn't really a surprise, but I really want The Shape of Water to win this award as well. It is such a visually beautiful movie, more so than everything else on this list that I've seen. So yes, another win for this please!

Original Song
“Mighty River” from “Mudbound,” Mary J. Blige
“Mystery of Love” from “Call Me by Your Name,” Sufjan Stevens
“Remember Me” from “Coco,” Kristen Anderson-Lopez, Robert Lopez
“Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall,” Diane Warren, Common
“This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” Benj Pasek, Justin Paul


Prediction: This Is Me

Wish: This Is Me

I haven't seen any of the films (other that CMBYN) that these songs come from, so my prediction is just coming from an initial listen to each song. So I've only heard each of them once. I'm giving this one to 'This is Me' because, just from one listen to the song, I cried. So yeah, this should definitely win!

Makeup and Hair
“Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick
“Victoria and Abdul,” Daniel Phillips and Lou Sheppard
“Wonder,” Arjen Tuiten


Prediction: Darkest Hour

Wish: Darkest Hour or Wonder

As I've already said, Gary Oldman literally transformed into Winston Churchill, and a major part of that was down to the makeup and hair. However, the whole point of Wonder was about a boy with a facial disfigurement, and the film wouldn't be anything if the makeup wasn't amazing, which it was! So any of these two winning would be fine by me!

Costume Design
“Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
“Darkest Hour,” Jacqueline Durran
“Phantom Thread,” Mark Bridges
“The Shape of Water,” Luis Sequeira
“Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle


Prediction: Beauty and the Beast or The Shape of Water

Wish: The Shape of Water or Phantom Thread

If we're just going for the 'costume' of the creature alone, then Shape of Water has this award in the bag because the way that the creature looks is so important for the development of the story. However, 'Phantom Thread' is literally about a dress designer, and the dresses that were designed for the purpose of the film were so freaking beautiful that I'd love them to get some recognition.

And that's it!

These are all of my opinions based on the movies that I've seen.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree with me? Tell me in the comments!

Lou xx

Comments

  1. I'm really excited for the Oscars this year I feel like there are so many good contenders. Leading Actress will be an interesting category, can't wait to see who wins that xxx

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I completely agree! A lot of the winners will be surprising I think xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

April Favourites | 2015