The 'Scary' Age


Hey Guys x

I first heard this phrase in 'Sex and the City', where two of the main characters were speaking about the age in which they would be worried that they hadn't had children.

For example, one said that she didn't want to be 45 and be unable to have children, wondering where their lives had gone.

As I'm only 18, I'm not worrying about having children anytime soon, but I still have my own version of the 'scary' age, one that many people may agree with.

My scary age, is the age when we, as humans, are supposed to have our lives together.

We're supposed to have a great job and a relationship and a house/flat away from our parents.

The age when we'll officially be adults.

And this terrifies me because I feel like I am so far away from that!

For most people, I assume their scary age is in their mid-late twenties, but society makes us feel like we should be at this age already.

We're already expected to know exactly what we want to do, exactly where we want to be, what we want to study, where we want to study it, what we want to do after our studies, where we want to work from our twenties to our 60s, who we want to spend all of our time with, and that's scary!

I don't know any of that stuff! I mean, I study what I love and find interesting, but I don't know where I'm going to be in a month let alone 50 years! How can I make those decisions now?

I don't think I can.

I don't think any of us are capable of making such tough decisions when we have the pressure of getting them wrong. What if I'm studying the wrong thing? What if we hate our jobs? What if one decision now ruins our future?

'What if's' rule our lives, whether we like it or not, we always think of the best and worse case scenario.

But when it comes to something as important as the rest of our lives, it can be really hard to take a risk, in case something that we thought was the best case scenario, ends up being the worst.

I think this is especially on my mind because a2 and as results came out yesterday, and GCSE results come out next week.

My friends and I all received our a2 results and now have to make decisions about the future (thank you so much for all of your well wishes, they meant the world to me) and it's scary.

I'm starting university next month and have a lot of things to worry about, which I will probably be doing a full post on next week, but the scary age keeps popping into my mind.

When are we supposed to have everything figured out?

My scary age always changed. Right now, it's 24. When I finish uni, I want to know how I'm going to spend the majority of my life. Of course, I doubt this will happen, but I really hope it does!

But right now, my scary age couldn't seem further away. I just don't know if I'll have everything sorted by then.

Thank you for reading

Comment below what your scary age is, and what you hope to accomplish by then!

Keep Smiling - Lou xx

Comments

  1. My scary age is 30. I don't know why but for me thats either a good age or a bad age. I hope to be in a happy relationship by thirty and maybe have a baby. I feel like if its not happened by then, it probably won't. God I sound like such an Eeyore. Great post xx http://professionaldaydreamerx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, 30 is a really significant age for most people! Thank you xx

      Delete
  2. My scary age is 16. I am only 14 now, but its crazy to think that when I'm 16 I will be driving a car!!!! I also feel its where your really transition from a kid to a teenager. I don't want to grow up!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely! I don't want to grow up either! xx

      Delete
  3. think mine would be 50 !! :)


    I just love your blog ! Been following for ages now and I always enjoy a good read :D keep it up !!!!

    would love your thoughts on my new video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6PbJ1MXt3Q

    Jade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! I can really relate to what you said - I have no idea what I want to do after university and that scares me sometimes. Well done for getting your A2 results! I got mine two years ago and I absolutely hated the wait leading up to results day, and was so glad when they finally came out :)

    blogjustabubble.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My scary age would be 25 because I feel like after that if I don't have my life together I'll feel like a total failure. I feel that 25 if kind of like the ultimate mature age where I don't want to be living with my parents and be able to support myself financially. I also want to be happy by then and living a life that I feel that I deserve.

    http://crystallizeddaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I completely agree, I want financial independence by 25 too! But like you said, I also just want to be genuinely happy. xx

      Delete
  6. i used to have that thought all the time, but now, I'm taking everything as it comes. since grieving loss, in honesty, I would love to live my life with my talent, finding happiness, and no reason to worry about relationships. although I would love a "good living" life, I can not at this time, but I'm inspired by my family and others who encourage themselves each day. I follow my own path, with the support of others. If so, by that age of 24, you MAY think why you worried in the first place. it is an feeling we do have, but we can not help what happens. we have have o support one another as a society,. ignore the bad backdrop, it's just there for a reason. Take care always, and please try and relax your brain **deep breathes**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I completely agree with everything you said xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

The Matrix | 100 Movies Bucket List

Road House (2024) | Film Review

Wonka | Film Review

Scarface (1983) | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'