How to Make a Killing | Film Review

 

Disowned by his wealthy family, Becket Redfellow (Glen Powell) will stop at nothing to get his inheritance.

I didn't hear great things about this film when it first came out, but the premise sounded interesting, and I've liked Glen Powell in the few films I've seen him in, so it was added to my watchlist.

I thought the film was fine - nothing special but I did enjoy it.

The idea, while not the most original concept, is an interesting one that allows you to really focus on the character. The outcome of a story like this is completely dependant on what kind of character we're following.

It took me a while to really understand or like the character of Becket. The voice-over didn't really work for me, and I never felt particularly interested in him, which is more about the writing than the acting as I do think Powell played him well, he was great in the role and felt suited to it.

And to that end, the entire cast is great and make the story fun to watch.

Sometimes the movie almost slips into parody, and these moments always felt unintentional. It made it hard to work out which parts we should be taking seriously. You need a major suspension of disbelief to even be willing to follow the story. 

The pacing was a bit off at times - some scenes felt way longer than they needed to be.

And while it does take an interesting turn, it wasn't as fun or entertaining as it should have been, considering the plot and characters.

Despite liking the ending, it felt a bit too easy. We spent such a long time getting to the ending, just for it to be quick and somewhat simple.

So overall, this was an enjoyable movie, but it wasn't entertaining enough or well-written enough for it to get a higher rating.

6/10

Comments

Popular Posts

Louise Pentland Inspires Me

The YouTuber Book Rant!

My 300th Post!

April Favourites | 2015

Faking Confidence!