3 Month Favourites | July - September 2023

It's crazy how fast this year is going - how is it already October?! But anyway, here are the things I've been loving for the last three months!

Favourite Movie (1): The Blackening

I reviewed this movie HERE, and from reading that, it's no surprise that this film ended up in my favourites. I absolutely loved it and think more people should be talking about it!

Favourite Film (2): CODA
I missed this when it first came around, but remember how praised it was and that it was nominated for a few Oscars, so it was on my radar. I finally got around to watching it and I really really loved it. It's about a girl who is the only hearing member of her deaf family and, amongst other things, her love of singing. It's a really powerful story beautifully told.

Favourite Film (3): A Man Called Otto
I reviewed this HERE, and you can tell from the review how much I loved it. I was sobbing by the end, so that tells you something. I haven't read the book it's based on yet but it's definitely on my TBR.

Favourite TV Show (1): Only Murders in the Building
I'm only on season 2 of this show, but I absolutely loved the first season. It's about a group of neighbours who become unlikely friends when they try to solve a murder in their apartment building. I've been slowly making my way through it and am having a great time with it.

Favourite TV Show (2): Derry Girls
I hadn't heard much about this show while it was originally airing. It was actually a clip on Twitter that made me want to start watching it, and when Netflix added the third (and final) season, I watched the episodes back to back and completely fell in love with the show, and the characters. I really wish there was more of it!

Favourite TV Show (3): It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I feel like every time a new season of this show comes out it ends up on my Favourites list. Though I have to say that so far this is the best season yet! I've loved the first few episodes and can't wait to watch more!

Favourite Song (1): Monsters
This is such a beautiful song. I had heard it before but only properly listened to it in July and fell completely in love with it. Definitely one to listen to if you've never heard it before.

Favourite Song (2): Monster
I went to see Frozen in the West End in August, and this new song completely stood out. The show was amazing in general, but this song was the main thing I took away from that experience. Not only is it a beautiful song, but it adds a lot to the story about Elsa's state of mind, and would add a lot to the actual Frozen movie too.

Favourite YouTuber: Zoe Sugg

I don't always include this segment in my Favourites posts, mainly because I don't watch YouTubers the way I used to, and I get something different out of watching them than I did when I was a teenager. But one thing I have always loved is vlogs, particularly Zoe's. She vlogged every day in August and it was really nice to have something to look forward to every evening.

Favourite Actor (1): Margot Robbie
I've seen a lot of Margot Robbie in the last few months, mostly by coincidence. And while I didn't really like 'Barbie' as much as I wanted to, she was great in it. Plus, I also saw a number of films starring her that I did like, such as 'The Wolf of Wall Street', 'Once Upon a Time in Hollywood', 'Babylon', and I really enjoy her performances. Though to be honest I've been a fan since she was in Neighbours, so it's never been a surprise that I love her as an actress.

Favourite Actor (2): Anne Hathaway
I've loved Anne Hathaway for as long as I can remember (thanks to 'The Princess Diaries') but like Margot, I've seen so many of her movies in the last few months, which has just cemented my love for her. My absolute favourites that I saw for the first time last month are 'The Intern' and 'Interstellar'. I obviously loved them for very different reasons, but Anne was amazing in them both.

Favourite Actor (3): Matthew McConaughey
And finally, Matthew McConaughey is another actor that I've seen so much of in the last few months. My favourite of the films I've seen are 'A Time To Kill', 'Frality' (which in underrated!), 'The Lincoln Lawyer', 'Dallas Buyers Club' and of course 'Interstellar' and he has been amazing in everything. I've also loved a lot of his rom-coms in the past, but I definitely prefer him in a thriller.

Favourite Book (1): Greenlights
Staying on the Matthew McConaughey train, after seeing a lot of his films and interviews with him, I decided to buy his memoir. Now, I usually only read fiction (I have one biography on my TBR at the moment), so I had no idea whether I'd like it or not, but I absolutely loved it. Not only the way the story was told, but the story itself. Matthew has had a really interesting life and the book is a really entertaining read.

Favourite Book (2): The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
I reviewed this book HERE, and while it's the second book I've given 5 stars to this year, it's probably the fourth book I've given 5 stars to in the last 5 years. I'm really really picky when it comes to books, but this was great. It was beautifully written, I loved the character of Addie, and the story itself was so interesting. I really loved it.

And those are my July - September favourites, full of things I'm still loving! What have you been loving recently?



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List