Sitting in Bars with Cake | Film Review

I have to admit, I judged this film completely on the poster. I had no idea what it was about before watching it and only clicked on it because I thought it would be a fun coming-of-age movie with cake. Unfortunately, I was very wrong!

Corinne (Odessa A'zion) convinces her bake-loving best friend Jane (Yara Shahidi) to bake cakes and bring them to bars as a way to meet people.

I don't want to give anything away, but the film takes a huge turn away from this theme.

I thought the idea of them baking and bringing the cakes to bars was weird but fun. But even with this, I didn't care about the characters.

There was no reason for the film to be 2 hours. I'm not against long films at all, but there wasn't enough material for this to be so long - the length made it become boring and it started dragging on.

Though I will say it was sweet. The two main actresses have great chemistry and their scenes together, especially more towards the end of the film, were really endearing and emotional at times.

The idea of the bars and cake made the film original, so after the film took a turn, I would have liked to see more bars and definitely more cakes!

Overall, as much as I felt touched by the end of the film, ultimately that's only due to the subject matter and doesn't actually make the film good. So I would look up what the film is really about before deciding whether or not you want to watch it.

4/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List