X | Film Review

 

Other than hearing a lot of positive reviews, I went into this film completely blind. I had no idea what it was about, I had no idea it was an A24 movie, and I didn't know it was the start of a trilogy.

When a group of filmmakers hire a guest house to make an adult film, their elderly hosts leave them fighting for their lives.

I enjoyed this film.

I actually had to watch it twice before I felt like I could review it. The first time around I didn't feel like I got it, and I definitely didn't understand the huge hype around it. But these feelings changed the second time around.

I really liked these characters - they were interesting and well-written. The group of friends are great, but even the elderly couple have a lot in their background that makes them really intriguing to watch.

This film is reminiscent of old slashers, particularly the 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' movies. For me, this made it feel really familiar and nostalgic.

There's no denying the film is weird, this is a really weird movie. But the premise is equally as interesting as it is weird, and I really liked that. 

It doesn't really become a horror for an hour or so, but the events are intriguing enough without the full horror element that it keeps the audience watching and wondering what will happen next.

The soundtrack was great.

Overall, I wouldn't say I loved the film, but I really enjoyed it, and I'm definitely excited for the other films in the trilogy.

7/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List