You People | Film Review

 

I had seen a lot about this film in the lead-up to it being released, and honestly, I wasn't going to watch it because I really didn't think I'd like it. But I decided to watch it on a whim, just to see what it would be like.

An interracial couple meets each other's families and has to contend with their fundamental differences, and whether they can still be together.

This was actually a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It wasn't amazing, but it definitely wasn't awful.

The cast is great! The film stars Jonah Hill, Lauren London, Eddie Murphy, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Nia Long and David Duchovny amongst a bigger group of great actors, and they really made the film what it is.

Some of the humour feels a bit on the nose - like you can imagine the writers getting excited when they were coming up with some of these jokes. You can hear what the joke is supposed to be, and how the audience is supposed to react, as opposed to that reaction being genuine.

The couple is more endearing than I thought they would be. At first glance, they don't really seem to match, but after watching them, there is definite chemistry and you root for them.

The film is mostly funnier than I thought it would be. There were some moments of satirical comedy that feel a bit too uncomfortable, but for the most part it works.

The one thing about the film that really pulled me out of it was that, the film frames both sets of parents as equally bad, but actually we have one that is admittedly ignorant and could do better, whereas the other causes problems for the couple on purpose. But having said that, some of the points made to both sets of parents were really important and interesting to watch.

Overall, while the film was longer than necessary, it was also better than expected. I would recommend it, but I also know that it definitely won't be for everyone.

5.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List