The Invitation (2022) | Film Review

 

I didn't know much about this film before putting it on, but the basic premise sounded interesting. 

After taking a DNA test, Evie (Nathalie Emmanuel) discovers a long-lost cousin and is invited by him to a lavish wedding in England. But soon Evie discovers the family secrets and twisted truths behind her wedding invitation.

I have mixed feelings about this film. I didn't hate it, but there was a lot about it that I didn't like.

I really liked Evie from the very beginning, which made it easy for me to become invested in her and her story.

Having said that, this is definitely one of those movies where the main character makes frustrating decisions - all the time.

There is a creepy, unsettling undertone to this film that is done really well. The film is great at creating suspense and tension.

It moves quite slowly. In the beginning, I was fine with this because I was enjoying the journey. But the film seemed to move from horror to family drama, and that combined with how slow it moved wasn't great.

This film could have been like 'Ready or Not' and other last-girl-standing revenge movies, but the events took too long to take place.

In addition to this, I lost interest when the reveal happened, and I never really gained this interest back. After this point I was just waiting for everything to be over.

The main redeeming quality of this film was Evie's relationship with her friend Grace (played by Courtney Taylor), who was one of my favourite characters.

Overall, there will definitely be people who like this movie, but it wasn't really for me. There were parts I enjoyed, but ultimately I didn't like it that much.

4/10



Comments

Popular Posts

Star Wars Episodes IV, V, VI | 100 Movies Bucket List

Drive-Away Dolls | Film Review

The Rocky Horror Picture Show | 100 Movies Bucket List

Madame Web | Film Review

Airplane! | 100 Movies Bucket List