La La Land | Film Review

Image result for la la land poster

Hey Guys x

On Friday, I went to the cinema alone for the first time! I am so proud of myself and I'm definitely going to do it again because it wasn't a bad experience.

But the film that I went to see was La La Land.

I mainly went to see it because of all the awards it's won, the fact that it's probably going to win an Oscar, and the fact that everyone on twitter who's seen it has said how amazing it was, so I had to see it.

It's about a girl called Mia who is an aspiring actress when she meets Sebastian, a jazz pianist. They meet by chance a few times and start up a relationship, in which they bring out the best in each other. Sebastian decides that he wants to open a jazz club, and Mia wants to act, to be taken seriously. But to realise their dreams, the pair have to sacrifice more than they'd ever imagined. But will they ever realise their professional dreams? And will their relationship survive in the process?
And I have to add, it's a musical, so many musical numbers and dances help to bring the story to life.

Now, when I was watching the film, there were some moments when I thought 'what's going on?' and other moments when I thought 'wow, this is amazing'.

But there was one moment, really early on in the film (during Mia's first audition) where Mia was silent, for whatever reason, and the whole of the cinema (which was packed!) was silent, waiting with baited breath for the next line. I've never experienced anything like that in my entire life, and it was the most amazing feeling, and it made me feel like, whether I liked or disliked the film at the end, it was special.

For the film in general, I'm still not sure if I really get the hype. I liked the film, I'd definitely see it again, I want to buy all the music, but I didn't walk out of the cinema feeling in awe or inspired or in tears - I walked out thinking 'that was a really good film'

Although, on the subject of tears, there was another Mia moment within the film, her solo song (I think she only had one, but if not, I think it's called 'Mia's Audition') when everything melted around me, all I could see was Mia singing her song, all I could think about was the song she was singing, and I teared up. Despite what I said earlier, looking back on it, this film is special. It has a little bit of magic that I didn't see until now.

The film had some strong 'Fred and Ginger' vibes. There's a scene in the film 'Top Hat', which I'll link here, that I really connected with a particular scene in this film, and I loved that because I love 'Top Hat', but yes, this film has some serious old-school vibes, and I love this so much!

Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone were incredible in the lead roles, the music was really great (not sing-along music like Hairspray or Grease, but make-you-think music) and if you like rom-coms, musicals, or any type of happiness within films, I would definitely recommend it!

Thank you for reading.

Comment below whether or not you're planning to see La La Land!

Lou xx 

Comments

  1. I have been considering going to see this so I was interested to hear your opinion and you have convinced me to go! Sounds like a feel good film :) and well done for going by yourself, not a lot of people like to do this but really it isn't a big deal as long as you are doing something you enjoy. Gemma xx

    http://thecreativepalette.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks so much xx

      Delete
  2. I've been really meaning to watch this and I love reading your reviews because you always give an honest opinion. I've heard the start of the film is especially good, so it must be the scene that you're talking about in this review. Thanks for sharing :)

    http://izzyk1998.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://izzykreviews.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah I'm dying to see La La Land, hopefully I'll see it this week! Love how in depth your review was! Also well done for going on your own, I think more and more people are going alone now! xx

    http://fashionsboudoir.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment xx

Popular Posts

Where Rainbows End vs. Love, Rosie | Film and Book Review

One Day | TV Show Review

Se7en | 100 Movies Bucket List

Upgraded | Film Review

April Favourites | 2015