Press Play | Film Review

 

This is a film that came out on Amazon Prime Video a couple of months ago. I didn't fully understand the premise, but it was definitely intriguing enough to watch.

After an accident, Laura (Clara Rugaard-Larsen) uses a time-travelling mixtape to save the love of her life.

This film is okay. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either.

It was a long time before anything actually happened. I had to re-read the description 20 minutes in just to make sure I was actually watching the right film.

The characters never strike me as a particularly strong couple, let alone the love of each other's lives. If anything, I wish the first 20 minutes/half an hour had been spent establishing and authenticating the relationship. 

Once we actually get into what the film is about (which was an interesting concept) the film becomes an intriguing and interesting watch.

For a film that relies so heavily on music, the song choices never felt particularly significant. I understand that the film's budget may not have allowed for recognisable songs to be used, but in that case I wish the audience had the opportunity to get to know the songs.

For me, one way around this could have been to use original songs, and make the film a musical. This might not work logistically, but it may have given the songs in the mixtape more of a presence throughout the film.

I really liked the way the film ended. It was unique and interesting - though it raised more questions than it answered.

Overall, the second half of this film is much better than the first half. It is an enjoyable enough film, but not particularly ground-breaking.

5.5/10

 

Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Anyone But You | Film Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion