Hello, Goodbye and Everything In Between | Film Review

 

This film came out on Netflix recently. I didn't know anything about it, but I had some spare time and it had an interesting concept, so I thought I'd check it out.

When Claire (Talia Ryder) and Aidan (Jordan Fisher) get together, they make a pact - to break up before going their separate ways to college. But when the time comes for them to have one final date and say goodbye, will they be able to go through with it?

I liked the idea of this film (which was originally a book) more than the execution of it.

I took an instant liking to both of these characters. Not only did I like them individually, but I liked them as a couple, and really believed in their relationship, which is essential for a story like this to work.

You understand both of the characters' points of view. The film's outcome is interesting because both of these characters are valid in their thought processes, and there are genuinely a few different ways the film can go.

My problem with the film is that I never felt that I got to know these characters on a deep enough level to really care about them. And as for the supporting characters, I didn't know or care about them at all, and not much attention was given to them.

Despite the conflict that is the entire basis of the film, everything felt a bit too quick and easy. The struggles started to not feel like real struggles. And after a while, this makes the characters quite frustrating to watch.

Overall, this is a simple, easy-to-follow story that makes for great casual viewing. It's not ground-breaking, and it doesn't really explore any new ideas, but it's sweet, and worth a watch if you're a romance fan.

5.5/10



Comments

Popular Posts

The Green Mile | 100 Movies Bucket List

My Problem With '8 Simple Rules'

Book Review #127: The Hawthorne Legacy by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Anyone But You | Film Review

Girl Talk: Summer Fashion